PDA

View Full Version : This hand reeks of flopped trips

JrJordan
09-06-2004, 05:22 PM
I think this may be SOP but I wanted to get the confirmation from a few regulars here. Out of position with AJ vs. a PF cold caller on a paired board. I should note that this opponent has been relatively aggressive. An earlier hand we were heads up with me on the button and AK. When rags hit the flop, he minraised my flop bet and I folded. To the hand. Bisons site isn't working today, so bare with the mess.

Party $50 NL 10-Max

Preflop: UTG limps. Folds to MP2, Hero raises to 4 with AsJs. Villain on the button cold calls. All others fold. $10.50 in the pot.

Flop: Ad Qs Qh

Hero bets $7, villain calls. Pot now $24.50

Turn: 4d

Hero bets $12, villain reraises to $24, hero folds.

Comments on all streets. I think the flop bet is mandatory to see if he'll fold with such a strong flop. His cold call has me worried about trip Q's. I'd like some opinions on my half pot bet on the turn. I think this allows me to fold if he comes over the top because I'm not pot committed. At these levels, I don't think a half pot bet can be read for weakness either. I want to get to the showdown as cheap as possible, and I'm afraid if I check here, he can buy me out. Seems like an obvious fold after he reraises. AK, or any Q beats me at this point. Comments?

JrJordan
09-06-2004, 06:38 PM
NT

NaobisDad
09-06-2004, 07:29 PM
AJs is a type of hand that I personally would either like to play with a lot of people in the pot, or really shorthanded for a really small pot. And hardly ever out of position.

You created a situation where you were really shorthanded in a big pot, out of position. Also, against a reasonable player, I think that given the size of your preflop raise, you will be going in with the worst hand most of the time (if the big blind was $1 then this last statement of course isn't necessarily true).

I don't think your flop and turn bet were bad. After he calls the flop I'd be really worried about my hand without any reads on this player. You're most likely beat, but I agree you can't check the turn here.

Knowing the stacksizes and BB-size wouldn't hurt in this situation. Judging from the post you had plenty of chips. Seeing as how the pot was about 37 after your turn bet I'm guessing you had well over $50 in front of you going, and your opponent did as well.

JrJordan
09-07-2004, 01:02 AM
Sorry, forgot some important info. Blinds are .50/1 for Pary Poker. I had about $55 in front of me and the villain had me covered.