PDA

View Full Version : bet or check flopped set?

nopants
09-06-2004, 04:54 PM
Don't have HH yet, mostly wondering about how I treated the flop - check through for slowplay or bet out to protect against the flush?

PP .50/1

Hero is UTG +1 with 99

UTG folds, Hero Raises, Folded to Button who calls, SB folds, BB calls.

3 to the flop for 6.5 SB. Flop comes 5 /images/graemlins/club.gif 9 /images/graemlins/club.gif 10 /images/graemlins/club.gif

BB checks, Hero checks, Button checks.

Should I have bet here? I'll post the rest of the hand in a bit...

bisonbison
09-06-2004, 04:56 PM
BET. Do you want to put the money in when you're probably ahead or when you're probably behind?

SparkyDog
09-06-2004, 05:01 PM
Bet, you almost certainly have the best hand, and you shouldn't give free cards to possible lone clubs.

Remember that by checking you are only offering your opponent a free card, and that's a no-no with a strong yet vulnerable made hand.

Gatts
09-06-2004, 05:08 PM
Even if you're behind, you'll have ten outs to a boat on the turn, assuming you don't boat right there.

BET. Lone clubs will call. QT will call. If you're played back at, don't slow down until the river and there's four clubs on the board and you haven't paired.

afk
09-06-2004, 05:10 PM
Bet.

nopants
09-06-2004, 05:25 PM
Bet.

Turn comes low /images/graemlins/club.gif

BB checks, Hero bets, Button Raises.

BB folds, Hero folds.

Boo. Hiss. Poor hero play. Lesson learned - a set is not worthy of slowplay.

bisonbison
09-06-2004, 05:26 PM
You cannot fold a set on the turn here. You have the odds to fill up.

BAD FOLD.

Gatts
09-06-2004, 05:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Bet.

BB folds, Hero folds.

Boo. Hiss. Poor hero play. Lesson learned - a set is not worthy of slowplay.

[/ QUOTE ]

What the hell are you folding for?

You've got ten outs to crush clubs beneath your feet.

InchoateHand
09-06-2004, 05:39 PM
Do you have any idea how much fun it is to river one of your ten outs, and it be the 9? Hitting quads against flushes is what makes having a set so enjoyable. Don't throw away money--you'll lose when you deserve to enough, don't when you have odds.

nopants
09-06-2004, 05:48 PM
I've got 1 more card to pair the board and there's 6 BB's in the pot. Button comes alive on the turn, with 4 clubs on the board. Is this really a *clear-cut* fold? It seems like a coinflip to me.

Crap, I was thinking about 6 outs to pair, not 9. I had the odds to fill up. It's a bad fold.

Crap - I should have bet the flop and I'd have been ahead on the turn. Unless he's got the nut flush, the 4th club is probably a scare card for him also. Since I raised pre-flop, I could have the A /images/graemlins/club.gif if he doesn't.

Arrrrgh. I hate this hand.

MagicRat
09-06-2004, 05:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Bet.

BB folds, Hero folds.

[/ QUOTE ]

With 10 outs on the River, Hero folds?!?

In the immortal words of Vizzini: "Inconceivable!"