PDA

View Full Version : heads up with As-Js

davieb
09-06-2004, 04:35 PM
Just two of us remaining in a table tournament. The blinds were 300/600, 100 ante. Opponent was aggressive and fairly decent during the game and there were only three heads up hands between us prior to this one. I had ~$14,000 in chips to his ~$6,000. Acting first, he raised the same as he had in the previous 2 of 3 hands, about 2X the big blind (this was different from his regular play when he usually varied his opening bets between 3-6 times the BB during the game). I did not have a good feel for what kinds of hands he would play heads up, having seen only one of the previous hands played (J-7 offsuit). In this hand, I had As-Js.

I'm fairly new to playing table tournaments, and aside from how the hand turned out, I had some questions that popped into my mind both before and after the hand. I wanted to get some input on how those more experienced in table tournies would play this hand. Then I'll detail what actually happened to compare it.

Thanks for any input

La Brujita
09-06-2004, 04:44 PM
Basically after his raise there is 2000 in the pot and he has 4700. I move in here against any opponent.

Basically AJs is a monster hand heads up.

The only time I wouldn't push (given the blind structure here) that I can think of off the top of my head is if the opponent folds so often he is basically gifting me the tournament.

My thinking would go something like this:

1. What range of hands is he raising with

2. How does my hand compare to that range of hands

3. What do I estimate my folding equity to be

4. Now that I have decided my hand is probably good should I flat call or what should I raise it up to. I don't slow play a hand like this very often especially out of position for the next rounds.

a. I look first what a pot sized bet would be and what percentage it would consitute of both of our stacks. Since a potsized raise is over half his stack I just move in (I start to strongly consider a move in if a potsized raise is 33% of the shorter of his or my stack).

willperkins
09-06-2004, 04:48 PM
I tend to be very agressive when heads up and try to put my opponent "all in" whenever I can. Therefore, with AJs I would push and make him commit or fold. If he commits, you have a good chance against most starting hands. You are a big dog to some hands (AA, AK, AQ, KK, QQ, or JJ come to mind). Even if you lose, you still have plenty of chips.
I realize this may be agressive, but once I get ITM I want to win the tourney and will take a few chances.

davieb
09-06-2004, 05:20 PM
Thanks for the input.

Both posts were along the lines of what I thought and did. I didn't want to move in on him because he had actually just folded the hand he'd raised when I moved in on him, although I did not know what he had. I definitely thought of it though. I also tend to play aggressively heads up.

My thinking was that this was a monster hand heads up, and like it was pointed out, I was only a big dog to the big pairs. I popped him back double his bet to see if he was serious and make him think and he moved in. He had pocket 8s and I got an ace on the flop and a jack on the turn. But it was exactly the pocket pairs that got me thinking about it and wondering about it. It flashed through my mind when he went all in.

Was just wondering how others played it ;-)

Thanks.

eastbay
09-06-2004, 05:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Just two of us remaining in a table tournament. The blinds were 300/600, 100 ante. Opponent was aggressive and fairly decent during the game and there were only three heads up hands between us prior to this one. I had ~$14,000 in chips to his ~$6,000. Acting first, he raised the same as he had in the previous 2 of 3 hands, about 2X the big blind

[/ QUOTE ]

So there's ~2000 in the pot, and he's got ~5000 left?

You put him all-in every single time, and don't even question it for one microsecond no matter what he shows you.

(Unless there's something extraordinary going on like an extreme physical tell of some kind.)

eastbay