PDA

View Full Version : Internet questions

skibum
09-06-2004, 03:47 PM
Sorry for the dupe, and I know it is, but I can't find the proper search questions or keywords. I want to play on the internet for the first time, and I haven't been around 2+2 long enough to navigate well, or even ask all the right questions. I know the info and answers are here somewhere....I've read and studied the right books I think, and play weekly in a $3-$5 loose aggressive home game. No B&M experience. Books are WLLH, SSH, HFAP, TOP, MLH, and 20 more of the good ones, but none about the internet. I've read most of them at least twice, and studied WLLH, HFAP, TOP, and am currently studying SSH. Internet poker never appealed to me before, but now that I think I can win, it might. Since I started studying about 2 years ago, I've been killing my home game. I think several of the guys have read books, but I don't think anyone else studies. I guess I'll start at $1-2 or $2-4 and see how it goes. So, Best site(s)? Sign-up bonuses? Credit cards OK? Tracking software? Tips? Links to tips? Pitfalls? Computer requirements? IT connection requirements? Questions I need to ask? Things/places to watch out for or avoid? I have an old PII 350mh w/windows98, 52k dialup, and I don't get kicked offline (much) by my provider. I'd really like to get the best bang for my buck right off the bat, and not miss any tricks to superior online strategy incl. this new tracking software I read about. Anything you generous people might know will be of help.

I apologize again for the inconvenience, but I pledge to be the one that answers the next slacker that poses a similar question. Once I learn the answer. Thank you.

Cheers

gliam
09-06-2004, 05:37 PM
I had a lot of help from here when I started so I will try to answer some of these:

So, Best site(s)?
I like party poker and poker stars, the best games in the limits your looking for are probably on party poker

Sign-up bonuses?
Best thing to do is email the site and ask what bonuses are available. Party will tell you anyway. Some of the bonus-whores here probably know better even.

Credit cards OK?
Usually not, but some people have been able to use them, debit cards work better, i understand, most recomend netteller (i use firepay and iGM-PAY, i like iGM-PAY for party)

Tracking software?
I recommend poker tracker. some recommend poker office

Tips?
read these forums

Pitfalls?
loose low limit games make for big swings

Computer requirements?
you should be ok with what u have, altho paradise sucks a lot of CPU

IT connection requirements?
dial up works well enough if you have a reliable connection

Questions I need to ask?
read the forums (never stop studying)

Things/places to watch out for or avoid?
watch out for UTG raises /images/graemlins/smile.gif

If you have been studying for 2 years and feel good about your game, you should do well. The typical party poker player can not spell 'study'

Anything else?

skibum
09-06-2004, 08:53 PM
That's a great start, gliam, thanks. What are bonus whores? Sounds like I might want to be one! Only because I'm a cheap bastid. The UTG tip rocks /images/graemlins/cool.gif I'd probably feel more comfortable about playing online if I had any B&M experience. All I see is the same old rednecks on Friday night. But I understand a lot more now than when I first started reading about poker. Amazing that I even survived playing all these years. I must have been the prototypical LAG. After lurking around here for a month, I'm not at all sure I feel comfortable about my game. I know I gotta try, though. Thanks again.

ewile
09-06-2004, 09:04 PM
IF you're interested in playing 1/2, you can check out Interpoker. It's a good deal because every month, if you deposit $90, you will give you an additional $90 bonus if you play 450 raked hands.

The site www.pokerplex.com (http://www.pokerplex.com) does a $50 bonus after you play 300 hands and the site caribbean sun poker gives you a $40 bonus for 250 hands. These bonuses are given every month!
Again they all have ample 1/2 games.

If you hit all 3 in a month, you have become a bonus whore.

itsmarty
09-06-2004, 10:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The UTG tip rocks

[/ QUOTE ]

'ware the turn check-raise, while you're at it.

Martin