PDA

View Full Version : Stop and think for a second!

slickpoppa
09-06-2004, 03:38 PM
So I was playing PP $50 NL and had built up to around $150 pretty quickly. I have JJ, raise preflop and get 1 caller, the BB who has a bigger stack. On the flop, 3 undercards come up, he checks and I bet the pot. He raises the same amount, and I call. Another blank comes on the turn, he checks and I bet the pot again, about $30, (my first mistake) and he raises all-in. I call with my remaining $120 without even thinking about it like it was a reflex. Of couse he's got AA, I don't catch a jack, and I'm done.

I would never have made this call in a live game or if I had stopped to think about it. Although losing the money sucks, I am even more pissed off at myself for being so stupid and not even taking a second to think about what I was doing.
I think I made this mistake because I play so much limit that making decisions quickly is common. So this is a friendly warning to everyone out there to think before making big calls.

Vannek
09-06-2004, 09:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
and he raises all-in.

[/ QUOTE ]
He probably would not do this move with AK, and TT is improbable as he would be afraid and want a cheap showdown, so they only hands he would do this beats you(unless its a lag)

fimbulwinter
09-07-2004, 12:22 AM
what's important here is not what you learned with the hand (which was an expensive but important lesson), but what you leanred about this player for the future. he tried to trap (effectively) with his big hand and was completely unworried (rightly so in this case) about going all in with an overpair.
what does this mean?
when your stack gets deep against this guy again, play loose when you're heads up with position and call small PFR with hands you feel could break him. he's not the super aggro type who will never give you odds to flop a set on his AA, so make a note and the next time you two end up deep, take his stack.

fim