PDA

View Full Version : I dunno, I've got a pair....

parappa
09-06-2004, 02:11 PM
Villain is rather unpleasant, a sort of tricky loose-aggressive table coach, and I am unable to tell if his flop bet represents a postoak bluff, a monster hand, or simply a weak bet when he has the goods or thinks he does.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (5 handed)

UTG (t1170)
MP (t2530)
Button (t695)
SB (t2185)
Hero (t1420)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG folds, MP calls t200, Button folds, SB folds, Hero checks.

Flop: (t500) J/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP bets t200, Hero ???

The once and future king
09-06-2004, 05:54 PM
Push all in and take it down.

Unless hes got a J hes most likely folding. If he did have the J I think he would have checked the flop. His bet is weak.

I dont see what just calling in this situation can achieve.

However if he has min raised for 200 with a J then well frankly he has played well and set a good trap.

The only other scenario is that he is semi-bluffing on his draw. In which case he may call a raise.

I dont know the player in the example but I believe the first scenario to be the most common situation.

What level is this at?

Irieguy
09-06-2004, 09:15 PM
I think this pot has very little to do with the hand itself, and everything to do with the situation. Folding is rarely going to be correct in terms of chip EV, but I would just let this one go because of the tournament circumstances.

I'd rather be the first one in the pot all-in for a couple of hands and hope I can jockey into cashing position with a chance to win it. The little stack is in bad shape, and it sounds like the troublesome guy may get too froggy for his own good and really help you later. Seems like a case of passing up a marginally good situation for a potentially much better one a little later.

Irieguy

parappa
09-07-2004, 02:08 AM
10+1.

parappa
09-07-2004, 04:10 AM
So, I did push all-in, and he did have a jack. It seems like you can always figure out the results by the fact that the hand was posted.

I'm not particularly upset at my play here, but more and more I'm starting to agree with Irie's basic position here, which is that at 10+1 you don't need to push marginal edges because either a) your opponents will commit suicide or b) you'll have a chance to get your chips in with a huge edge or c) if all else fails, you'll almost certainly be able to push a marginal edge for all your chips later in the tournament when you're desparate enough to justify it.

So I think my play here was fine, but next time I'll probably fold.