PDA

View Full Version : AA hand. Way too weak?

FeelGoodAboutHood
09-06-2004, 03:55 AM
PokerRoom No-Limit Hold'em, $1 BB (10 handed)

saw flop|<font color="C00000">saw showdown</font>

($94.50)
<font color="C00000">CO ($72.75)</font>
Button ($87.50)
SB ($118)
BB ($133.75)
UTG ($73.25)
UTG+1 ($133.25)
UTG+2 ($70.25)
MP1 ($99)
<font color="C00000">MP2 ($141)</font>

Preflop:Hero is in CO with A /images/graemlins/club.gif,A /images/graemlins/spade.gif .
UTG calls $1, UTG+1 calls $1, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 calls $1, folds, <font color="CC3333">CO raises to $7</font>, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds, UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP2 calls $6.

Flop: ($17.50) 6/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
MP2 checks, <font color="CC3333">CO bets $12</font>, MP2 calls $12.

Turn: ($41.50) 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
MP2 checks, <font color="CC3333">CO bets $35</font>, MP2 calls $35.

River: ($111.50) T/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
MP2 checks, CO checks.

Final Pot: $111.50
<font color="green">Main Pot: $111.50, between CO and MP2.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by CO ($111.50).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
MP2 has Jd Ah (one pair, jacks).
CO has Ac As (one pair, aces).
Outcome: CO wins $111.50. [/color

I thought JT was a very possible holding for this player, I'd been playing with him for about an hour, he'll call a raise with any two big cards. A check-raise from him doesn't make me "throw up", but it does make me curse, slam my keyboard and call. But, clearly, I missed an opportunity here. Any suggestions?

BobboFitos
09-06-2004, 04:18 AM
I find this to be an incredibly well-played hand.

You've wagered 54 of your 73$ stack by the river? So you have 19 of which to bet?

I probably would be too meekish to bet the river here; I love the betting amount on each street prior to this, and you've built a nice pot with what should be the winning hand. I would be happy to check behind him and take it down. That said, only realistic hand that beats you is JT, (or a very slowly played set) and the question is would this player check a rivered two-pair into you?

On the river you really should throw the last of your money at him, simply because the hands that you beat of which he'd call far outnumber those that beat you... He could have:
K-K or Q-Q (but no PRF or reraise or any significant action... Hard to put him on an OP)
A-J, K-J, Q-J, J-T
Jack ten beats you.
J-J, 6-6, 3-3 beat you. We can rule out 7-7 and T-T... With ZERO bets by a set, it's really tough to put him on either of those hands, as well, unless this player is incredibly passive. So 4 realistic hands, 1 beats you. 3:1 favorite. Actually, probably more like this...
2 A, 4 K, 4 Q, 3 T. 10:3 favorite you're ahead. He'll call for just 19$ every one of those hands. Math says to throw the rest in as it's a winning play over time.

Even still, I really love how this was played.

FeelGoodAboutHood
09-06-2004, 04:29 AM
Thanks, that's encouraging.

The reason I posted this is I think a leak in my game is not pushing the edges enough where I have them. Maybe it's from running bad the last couple of weeks, but I find myself not making enough money in places that I should.

The thing with this hand is that I knew what he had, jack with a decent kicker, one that he might have hit on the river.

BobboFitos
09-06-2004, 04:45 AM
The reason I posted this is I think a leak in my game is not pushing the edges enough where I have them. Maybe it's from running bad the last couple of weeks, but I find myself not making enough money in places that I should.

The thing with this hand is that I knew what he had, jack with a decent kicker, one that he might have hit on the river.

Yeah, I would've deduced the same thing based on the board and his actions. Math says to bet the river, but just like you, I wouldn't have pushed this edge, as well.

The other thing to think about it he checked; he has a hand that has show down value, (or has completely given up on any asinine draw out there?) but does not want to bet for value himself. If he is a player who would just check/call or check/raise with a made hand, (you still should bet, having just 19 left!) then maybe checking is safe, but if he did improve, you would think he'd bet it himself.

But you got alot of value out of AA vs AJ, and there's no shame in that!

Daann
09-06-2004, 05:49 AM
Seeing as you put him on a top pair style hand, stick the rest of your money in on the end. You would call if he bet anyway, so you might as well get the rest of his stack.