PDA

View Full Version : De La Salle High School football team's winning streak ends at 151

Dynasty
09-06-2004, 02:42 AM
A high school football team from Concord, CA lost for the first time in more than 12 seasons. That's a nice streak.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/preps/football/2004-09-05-delasalle-loss_x.htm

De La Salle's 151-game win streak ends
SEATTLE (AP) — A California football team's 151-game winning streak, the nation's longest, ended Saturday when Bellevue High School beat the De La Salle High of Concord, Calif., 39-20 before a crowd of 24,987 at Qwest Field.

De La Salle had not lost a game since falling in the 1991 North Coast Section championship game Dec. 7, 1991, when the current seniors on the team were in kindergarten.

The De La Salle Spartans broke the nation's previous longest winning streak at 72 games in 1997, going on to more than double it.

Coach Bob Ladouceur, who now has a 287-15-1 record in a quarter century at the suburban San Francisco school, was gracious in defeat.

"The team we saw on film was not the team we played out there tonight," he said of the three-time defending state 3A championship Wolverines.

"Their coaching staff and players did a great job in every facet and gave us schemes we had never seen," he said. "We got beat by a better football team tonight. If we played them tomorrow, they'd beat us again."

Ladouceur said it was just time for De La Salle to finally lose.

"I'm all for there being a lot of king of the hills, not just one," he said. "Bellevue represented their state well."

De La Salle got off to a solid start by moving the ball down the field 83 yards to score with relative ease.

But Bellevue senior J.R. Hasty took the ensuing kickoff 74 yards to score.

The Wolverines were motivated.

"There were all the Internet polls, the message boards where everyone said they were going to blow us out," said linebacker E.J. Savannah, who led Bellevue's defense with nine tackles.

Bellevue coach Butch Goncharoff said his team was thoroughly prepared for the school's biggest game ever.

"This is a great feeling," he said. "We worked eight months for this. I don't think we were intimidated coming in and our kids executed. We've said the strength of this team is our offensive line and it was tonight. They spent more time, more hours than anybody. Even De La Salle."

The streak — the longest in perhaps any sport — created a near-cult following for Ladouceur. The program at the private, all-boys school has inspired two books, a documentary and national telecasts of games, and last month earned the Spartans a seven-page spread in Sports Illustrated.

The Spartans have often faced the top competition from California and around the country, drawing tens of thousands of fans to see if the streak will end. But De La Salle graduated 17 starters from the 13-0 squad from 2003.

The team also suffered off-the-field heartache recently. On Aug. 12, linebacker Terrence Kelly was shot to death in Richmond, 20 miles east of De La Salle's campus, just before he was to leave for the University of Oregon, where he had earned a full football scholarship.

ThaSaltCracka
09-06-2004, 06:19 AM
yup they lost to Bellevue high school. It should be interesting for me because my my high school alma mater is likely to play Bellevue HS in the state playoffs(and they have a good chance to beat them). I actually live in Bellevue and I seriously wonder if most of the best football players in Bellevue are deciding to go to Belleve HS. Bellevue is a city of close to 100,000 people with 4 public high schools and atleast 6 other private high schools to compete/draw from. FWIW I think they have excellent coaches, a nice budget, and some sort of "recruiting" going on.

Chris Daddy Cool
09-06-2004, 08:38 AM
i went to james logan high school (cowboyws safety roy williams was a senior there when i was a freshman) which used to always play de la salle in the ncs championships and de la salle would always whoop us.

their streak was pretty damn amazing considering that it's a private boy's only school with only 400 or so kids.

RiverTheNuts
09-06-2004, 08:41 AM
Yea around where I lived, Evangel (Where all the Booty kids and Brock Berlin went) used to be nationally ranked perennially and would play De La Salle

Kurn, son of Mogh
09-06-2004, 10:46 AM
Well, maybe not the most, but the most amazing I know of.

Last year, Tollgate H.S. in Rhode Island defeated Mount St. Charles for the state H.S. hockey title. Why is this amazing? Because Mount St. Charles had won the title for 27 straight years.

Now, that's a streak.

JoeU
09-06-2004, 12:22 PM
Having gone to a private Catholic school for both high school and middle school, I can tell you that De La Salle is in a much better position to field a superior football team than Joe Schmoe Public High. They are able to recruit players and their parents similar to what a college program would do. They also can give internal scholarships to fund their education. My high school won back to back state titles when I went there, and at one point was ranked 19th in the country. The only game they lost in my first 2 years there, they lost because most of the seniors were suspended (smashing pumpking on the school lawn). They met that team in the state championship and beat them 19-0. The opposing team didn't cross the 50 the whole game.

It isn't as impressive as De La Salle, but the 400 student private school can field a pretty good football, even if it is for longer than a decade!

Joe

PS Roy Williams is my favorite Cowboy!

Analyst
09-06-2004, 12:30 PM
What makes the streak even more amazing is that De La Salle would consistantly schedule games against the nation's top high schools, such as Bellevue, and even the local games were played against the area's top public and private programs. They didn't beat 151 creampuffs.

nolanfan34
09-06-2004, 01:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It should be interesting for me because my my high school alma mater is likely to play Bellevue HS in the state playoffs(and they have a good chance to beat them).

[/ QUOTE ]

Who is your alma mater? I don't see anyone beating Bellevue this season.

What's funny is that non-Washingtonians would be surprised to see that Bellevue High is right smack in the middle of one of the richest cities in the state. Bellevue's famous for its retail mall more than anything. Given the fact that there's no way they have the most athletic team in the state, it says a lot about how strong the coaching is.

ThaSaltCracka
09-07-2004, 12:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Who is your alma mater?

[/ QUOTE ]
O-D-E-A!!!!
Yeah I know they just lost to Capital, but don't count them out. Expect to see them in state.

nolanfan34
09-07-2004, 11:41 AM
I had a feeling you were going to say either that, or Kennedy.

O'Dea throttled us two years in a row in the State Semifinals, back in the 2A days. Bastards.

ThaSaltCracka
09-07-2004, 11:46 AM
Kennedy???? Those tools are overrated every year because they beast eveyone in the worthless seamount league. The Metro league is one of the best leagues in the state. Kinco might be the best.

Where did you go and when? Because I remember the 1995 O'Dea team was awesome. They were actually ranked like 19th in the country that year. Only gave up like 21 points all season(including the state playoffs). They were back to back 2A champs, but they haven't had the same luck since they moved up to 3A, even though they make the state playoffs every year.

nolanfan34
09-07-2004, 01:56 PM
I went to Hazen High School. Part of the worthless Seamount league. Early 90s grad, it was 91 and 92 that we got beat in the semis.

I hated Kennedy with a passion.

ThaSaltCracka
09-07-2004, 02:35 PM
ah, Hazen. I live like 10 minutes from there. I have some friends that graduated from there in 96.

I still hate Kennedy.

wayabvpar
09-07-2004, 03:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I actually live in Bellevue

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto! Small world =)

[ QUOTE ]
I went to Hazen High School.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hisssssssssssssssss! I went to Renton, back when they were one of the best football teams in the state (beat Bellevue in the playoffs my junior year, as a matter of fact). Senior year we were undefeated, ranked 7th in the country by USA Today, but ran into Billy Joe Hobert in the first round of the playoffs. Bad times.

ThaSaltCracka
09-07-2004, 03:53 PM
are you in Bellevue to?

Renton HS? Have you seen it lately? Their football team still sucks, but they have a nice school now.

O'Dea usually kills them in Football/Basketball/track/everything /images/graemlins/cool.gif

nolanfan34
09-07-2004, 03:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I went to Renton, back when they were one of the best football teams in the state

[/ QUOTE ]

To borrow a phrase from BisonBison, usually reserved for the SS forum:

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO O!!!!

That must have been back in the NPSL days that Renton was good at football.

wayabvpar
09-07-2004, 05:19 PM
Edit- doublepost demon pwned me.

wayabvpar
09-07-2004, 05:19 PM
I think it was either the last year or 2nd to last year of the NPSL (I graduated in '88).

Renton had a decent football team last year, but just missed the playoffs after some late season missteps. They had a very good basketball team that lost a heartbreaker in the state tourney.

Any team (ODEA?) that can recruit students from outside its geographic area is going to have a huge advantage over smaller public schools.

ThaSaltCracka
09-07-2004, 06:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Any team (ODEA?) that can recruit students from outside its geographic area is going to have a huge advantage over smaller public schools.

[/ QUOTE ] Its not recruting if the players want to go there. O'Dea/Seattle Prep/Blanchet/ Eastside Catholic/ Kennedy are just not restricted to school districts.

FWIW, public schools are not immune to recruiting. I know that when Mercer Island had an awesome b-ball team in the late 90's, several of their best players didn't even live on Mercer Island.

[ QUOTE ]
They had a very good basketball team that lost a heartbreaker in the state tourney

[/ QUOTE ] Yeah they did. Did the run into O'Dea or Beach?

Justin A
09-07-2004, 06:14 PM
I went to Monte Vista High School, and it always sucks having to play De La Salle. We won two NCS 3A championships in a row, and got moved up to the 4A division with De La Salle. So much for winning any more NCS titles.

Justin A

wayabvpar
09-07-2004, 07:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah they did. Did the run into O'Dea or Beach?

[/ QUOTE ]

The former. Back and forth the whole way, but O'Dea prevailed 58-52. They ended up winning the consolation bracket and took 4th.

ThaSaltCracka
09-07-2004, 08:42 PM
did you watch the championship? O'Dea stunned Beach and won their third(I think) state basketball title. I would think that Beach, Renton, O'Dea, Franklin, and Garfield should always have good b-ball teams.