PDA

View Full Version : Very weird AA hand

Marlow
09-06-2004, 02:12 AM
This is the strangest hand I've had in a while. Button is a tricky and agg player. He goes to the river a little too much and can be counted on for a good turn or river check raise. I check on the turn because I was trying to induce a bluff. Is anything here clearly bad play on my part?

Ultimate Bet 3/6 Hold'em (6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is CO with A/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG folds, MP folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button calls, SB folds, BB folds.

Flop: (5.33 SB) 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 5/images/graemlins/club.gif, 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (4.66 BB) 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, Button checks.

River: (4.66 BB) 3/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Button caps</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 12.66 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 12.66 BB, between Hero and Button.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by Button (12.66 BB).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Button has 2h 3h (full house, twos full of threes).
Hero has Ac Ad (two pair, aces and twos).
Outcome: Button wins 12.66 BB. </font>

stripsqueez
09-06-2004, 06:15 AM
the button is a chook if he cold calls pre-flop with 32s

a big issue with slowplaying is that you misrepresent the value of your hand such that you can never know subsequently how to judge your opponents actions - best to have a hand so strong that you dont care - nothing terribly wrong with calling the flop raise but it wouldnt be a common line for me

when your river bet gets raised there are 2 likely scenarios - he is on some form of bizarre chip spewing bluff - or - he slowplayed the turn - i can make an argument for just calling the river raise but the whole hand is a mystery after all that slowplaying

stripsqueez - chickenhawk

kiddo
09-06-2004, 07:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
a big issue with slowplaying is that you misrepresent the value of your hand such that you can never know subsequently how to judge your opponents actions - best to have a hand so strong that you dont care [---] the whole hand is a mystery after all that slowplaying

[/ QUOTE ]

Very good point!

I havent thought about it a lot (I dont slowplay a lot /images/graemlins/smile.gif) but the hand often becomes a myster when you slowplay. You are not only checking when you should bet you are also making it harder to do the right decision on the next street.

What Stripsqueezs says here is one of Bob Ciafonnes major points in his chapter on deception in "Middle Limit Holdem Poker":

"By using deception, not only are you giving up the normal play, but you also are making it harder for yourself to make accurate decisions later on in the hand." (p. 21-22)

Marlow
09-06-2004, 12:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
a big issue with slowplaying is that you misrepresent the value of your hand such that you can never know subsequently how to judge your opponents actions - best to have a hand so strong that you dont care [---] the whole hand is a mystery after all that slowplaying

[/ QUOTE ]

Very good point!

I havent thought about it a lot (I dont slowplay a lot /images/graemlins/smile.gif) but the hand often becomes a myster when you slowplay. You are not only checking when you should bet you are also making it harder to do the right decision on the next street.

What Stripsqueezs says here is one of Bob Ciafonnes major points in his chapter on deception in "Middle Limit Holdem Poker":

"By using deception, not only are you giving up the normal play, but you also are making it harder for yourself to make accurate decisions later on in the hand." (p. 21-22)

[/ QUOTE ]

I see this and absolutely agree. I virtually never slowplay big pairs, and when I do I seems to get spanked every time. Here's a question, though: am I giving up anything if I never slowplay big hands?

Marlow /images/graemlins/spade.gif /images/graemlins/diamond.gif /images/graemlins/club.gif /images/graemlins/heart.gif