PDA

View Full Version : Flopped 2 pair in SB, but did I miss something?

AnteGravity
09-06-2004, 12:25 AM
Paradise Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $0.05 BB (6 handed)

UTG ($14.75)
MP ($3.35)
CO ($10.30)
Button ($13.65)
AnteGravity ($9.75)
BB ($9.30)

Preflop: AnteGravity is SB with J/images/graemlins/club.gif, 8/images/graemlins/club.gif. AnteGravity posts a blind of $0.05.
UTG calls $0.10, MP folds, CO calls $0.10, Button folds, AnteGravity (poster) completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($0.40) A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">AnteGravity bets $0.4</font>, BB folds, <font color="CC3333">UTG raises to $0.8</font>, CO folds, AnteGravity calls $0.40.

Turn: ($2) T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">AnteGravity bets $0.25</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG raises to $1.1</font>, AnteGravity calls $0.85.

River: ($4.20) Q/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
AnteGravity checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG bets $2.4</font>, AnteGravity calls $2.40.

Final Pot: $9
<font color="green">Main Pot: $9, between UTG and AnteGravity.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by UTG ($9).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
UTG has Ac 8d (two pair, aces and eights).
AnteGravity has Jc 8c (two pair, jacks and eights).
Outcome: UTG wins $9. </font>

I figured after folding every hand for a few orbits I'd take this opportunity to play a speculative hand for cheap with a couple of limpers already. I obviously got a decent flop but did I miss something on the reraise? Did I goof calling down like that? Or was I just being spanked for messing with such a icky hand to begin with?

I figured he had AK/AQ in EP and flopped top pair kicker and was just playing it out. I cringed when I called the river wanting to fold the last second, visions of AJ in my mind but it was too late. It wasn't AJ but it wasn't good either.

J-Lo
09-06-2004, 12:35 AM
You played the flop fine. On the turn, lead out for at least $1 prefereably $2... And if you get raised on the turn, even if it's a min-raise, you can confidently lay that hand down. Betting a small amount is one of the worst things you can do. It shows weakness, and you lose money. Might as well check-call if you want to bet so little. What are you trying to accomplish with a .25 bet into a $2 pot?

If he smooth calls the turn, then check-call and reasonable bet, because anyone who bets would have at least a straight, or maybe even a flush. At these levels people stick around with anything.

That's the line i would take, anyone have any other opinions?

AnteGravity
09-06-2004, 12:40 AM
Your right about the small turn bet, I usually lead out with at least 1/2 the pot if I believe I'm in the lead. I think the reraise on the flop unsettled me.

Mammux
09-06-2004, 08:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think the reraise on the flop unsettled me.

[/ QUOTE ]
microtilt?

-Magnus

bunky9590
09-06-2004, 08:52 AM
Do you see why a good portion of the good pros HATE the bottom two pair?

I could let go on the turn there FWIW. Played well up to that point.

AnteGravity
09-06-2004, 09:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]

microtilt?

-Magnus

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm, no, it wasn't a frustration nerve that was tickled. I'm a tight agressive player to the core, so playing a speculative hand for cheap was different, even though the environment was ripe for one.

Its strange, I expected a reraise because of the Ace, figuring one of the other two probably caught a piece with it, but even as I called the reraise I felt warry for some reason.

That feeling carried over into the turn where I underbet, the natural reraise came back over me and I just went into call mode, another uncomfortable part I don't like to act.

[ QUOTE ]
Do you see why a good portion of the good pros HATE the bottom two pair?

I could let go on the turn there FWIW. Played well up to that point.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, I definetly understand their distrust of such a situation.

If I had to play it over again, I would have made a more substatial raise on the turn and if he came over the top of me again, I would let it go and just chalk it up to same kind of luck/fate/ect that happens when you get KK and the guy behind you reraises with AA in his hand.