PDA

View Full Version : Ok I misjudged, but got it right back

10-10-2001, 07:15 PM
Last nite. I'm in BB.

UTG limps(LP), 1 mucks, then next guy raises. next player(solid tight)calls, button calls, I call with KQs.

Flop is rags 10 high.

Checked around.

Turn K, I check, raiser checks, next guy bets, button calls, I check raise for 3 reasons.

1) Push out pre-flop raiser.

2) I think I have best kicker.

3) If I still improve on river I'll get one more bet, yet my check may still get checked back by this turn bettor.

River another rag.

I check(button folded to my raise), turn bettor checks, He has AKo.

He said I thought you had two pair like k5 or something. You know BB hand.

I said, "c'mon when have you EVER seen me call a raise in the BB with rags?" He said "you right, you goo playa".

Very next hand in SB:

I decide I'll snow it to the river and show no matter what.

I get Q3s, I raise 5 players from the SB.

Flop is A98 rainbow.

I bet out in the dark though before the flop.

1 caller

I bet out again in the dark before the turn.

Other guy mucks.

I show my rags and tell everyone how tight I play!

Image does work. If they dont flop much. lol.

Just a fun hand, setup the table for the future but had to leave too soon after that. dumped a rack w/o getting any hands. Oh well.

10-10-2001, 11:48 PM
Probably not the best idea to show bluffs in hold'em. Showing bluffs in order to attract more calls is not worth as much as being able to exploit your {previously} tight image in order to pick up the occaisional pot simply by betting if you have little or nothing. The image of being tight is best in hold'em.

10-11-2001, 03:20 AM
Larry:

I'm not trying to put you down but it seems like you went on major tilt with the "I'm going to show them" attitude. In my opinion, even though it won you this pot, this sort of approach can and will prove very expensive for you. Bluffing should be done when it is strtegically correct to do so, not when you just happen to feel like it.

Best wishes,

Mason

10-12-2001, 09:02 AM
I agree with Mason...Tilt. However, regarding the second post.....

Up here in Canada. Very Loose. I find it very profitable to show attitude, produce but tick everyone off. Play tight, you know, Nut flushes and nut straights, FOUR callers on the riv. Anytime I need protection on a AK, top pair, I hammer the turn with a big raise or automatic check-raise against some smuck on the button. At this point they all fold thinking I made my straight or trips. Sure, I eat it sometimes but reading canadians is easy because they have depth and emotions. Cold winters you know. lol

Bob

10-15-2001, 04:37 PM
I rarely ever tilt Mason. I can though understand your point and your view. You see I NEVER play Q3. I hardly ever raise in the blinds, if I do it is usually KK or AA, not AK. I think I make more calling AK from the blinds with check raises when it flops and mucking out of position when it doesnt.

However, you may gather that my thoughts were based on the fact that I believed most everyone considered me to be a very tight player. So I wanted to throw them off a little. I had the position to do that up front. This is a once in 6 months play probably. As normally you must show the best hand in these games

unless it's got 3 tight ones then you can make a move here and there.

The AK guy I think played his hand terribly. It was open raised by a loose goose directly in front of him. I say take control immediately. 3 bet it, drive a few out, maybe get the button. He then as we know also has a chance to get the blinds out that won't fold pre-flop to a raise but will to 3 bets. Of course if he bets on the flop he usually wins it right there. Knowing this player I won't call 3bets normally in the BB with KQs. It's just not profitable in this position. I will call him though if I'm behind. Then when he 3 bets a middle pocket pair I know he'll bet the flop and usually the turn. I have the best position on him and gain a small amount from this I think.

Tell me what you think of these comments.

Thanks,

Larry