PDA

View Full Version : Re-raise from hand with poster (PP $25)

Ootz
09-05-2004, 06:54 PM
Call this huge reraise?

Hero ($38) is button with AQ.

UTG (poster) checks, LP calls, CO calls, Hero raises to $3, SB ($14) pushes his last $14 in, folded around to Hero who......?

Results later.

Ootz

Wayfare
09-05-2004, 07:44 PM
Mucks and remembers why he usually limps AQ.

NaobisDad
09-05-2004, 08:39 PM
'nuf said

Ootz
09-05-2004, 11:32 PM
Actually, AQ is a pretty good raising hand for me at $25 Party. All I have to do is remember to fold it to a reraise. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

I bring up this scenario specifically, though, because in my experience at $25 Party, people will make raises with not-so-good hands when there are posters in the hand, even on what are normally very passive tables. I busted two people in one hand (including the player who posted) with Kings when they mistook my raise for a steal. The poster called my raise, and a limper went all-in. The limper had AJ, I haven't checked to see what the poster had. That hand doubled me up and then some. And that's not the first time that had happened.

Thanks,

Ootz

AncientPC
09-05-2004, 11:46 PM
I'd fold.

I don't see what's wrong with raising AQ on the button.

Wayfare
09-06-2004, 04:28 AM
Because you have to fold it so much that the outlay isn't worth it.

You have to hit a hand before you can play AQ for a substantial profit. If you think people are putting in a significant amount with AJ or worse preflop, you should just push when you get AQ.

Daann
09-06-2004, 05:27 AM
A lot of the time when someone pushes over the top of you when it looks like you're stealing the poster money, its a small pocket pair. You are getting almost exactly 2:1, meaning that you are only not getting enough of an overlay if the SB is holding AA/KK/QQ/AK and for KK/QQ, its only a small amount off with AK not that far behind. Hmm, factor in the fact that its PP NL$25 where he could be making the move with other unreasonable hands, I reckon you could easily make a case for a call when considering his range of possible hands but its really not going to make that much of a difference whether you do or not.

As for raising AQo in this situation, I would do it here too, you have one poster who is unlikely to have anything substantial and two late position limpers who have shown huge weakness by just calling rather than trying to steal the poster money themselves. You are likely to have the best hand here, so raise it for value. And you have position.

I think that a blanket "always limp AQo statement" is a bit off really. It all depends on what game you are in, and if you are playing at somewhere like at Party, where they will still call a raise with dominated Aces, you are losing value and control of the hand, especially when you have position. AQ, like all the big offsuit cards peforms much better with only one or two opponents.

In tougher games, such as the ones played by the people posting in the higher stakes forum, then its much better to limp it in as your opponents are much more likely to muck anything that you dominate to your raise.

Daann
09-06-2004, 05:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You have to hit a hand before you can play AQ for a substantial profit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats the same with AK, but I hope you still raise that.

[ QUOTE ]
If you think people are putting in a significant amount with AJ or worse preflop, you should just push when you get AQ.

[/ QUOTE ]

So that you fold out all the hands that you dominate? Why reduce your AQ to a bluff when you can make far more money by letting them catch their A.

Daann
09-06-2004, 06:11 AM
You aren't getting 2:1, that what I get for trying to add up when still half asleep... You are actually getting just over 1.7:1, making it a lot more marginal... Well, I think so, but I don't really have the time to do it properly.

JohnG
09-06-2004, 12:19 PM
If they can make that move with hands like AJ, AT, then call. Otherwise fold.

GimmeDaWatch
09-06-2004, 03:48 PM
This is completely player dependent. Random players at this level on Party will move in with all kinds of nonsense, though often this is a medium to small pair. A certain % of players will only do this with a big pair QQ-AA. If I knew nothing of the player, I would fold. If Id seen him play loose and somewhat recklessly before, Id probably call.