PDA

View Full Version : Post deleted by Mat Sklansky

10-09-2001, 06:10 PM

10-09-2001, 07:32 PM
"What the hell are you doing?"

"The cut-off is an idiot. I'll outplay him."

"Yeah, but that's J-Ts you're reraising with from the button, and the big blind is one tough cookie, he knows what you're up to."

"So? I just won a big pot with J-Ts."

"Yeah, but you got a free play in the big blind and flopped 9-8-7 rainbow."

"I've won 9 times in a row, I'm up two racks, and the cut-off is an idiot."

"OK, but don't say I didn't tell you so."

$270 later I realize who the real idiot is.

So, to answer your question, yes, this has happened to me. Rather, I made it happen, it didn't just happen. Knowing you did it yourself is 80% of the battle.

10-09-2001, 08:50 PM
Wow, two and a half big bets, that is a soft seat....maybe I oughta move back down, nah, I'd have to learn to play all over again in THAT game, besides I'm not doin' so bad in my game.

The best thing to do after a session like this for me is to THINK about what I've done, forgive myself and go back next time and give'em the usual ass-kicking (cards willing).

Mike

10-09-2001, 10:05 PM
when you are out of touch with the game or your emotions quit. its easy to say but must be done.

its possible spm has implanted a piece of himself in you:)

10-09-2001, 10:30 PM
No, you shouldn't be arrested- you should just quit lying. You don't beat a game for 2.5 BB per hour. 100K per year playing $10-$20 40hrs a week???????? I don't think so.

10-09-2001, 11:04 PM
"No, you shouldn't be arrested- you should just quit lying. You don't beat a game for 2.5 BB per hour. 100K per year playing $10-$20 40hrs a week???????? I don't think so."

He didn't say 40 hours per week. He said 18 months. Doesn't matter either way. 2.5 BB per hour is bound to happen to somebody somewhere. Happened to me, 4BB per hour, for 18 months (as it so happens), playing $4-8, playing 40 hours per week. (VERY low rake home-games, so it was really much like Rounder's 2.5BB in a stiff-rake game.)

Let's do some figuring. The game is hyper lose and soft. During a year of running good, we hit two big draws per week above the expected probabilities (that would normally get us our 1BB/hour). Pot size, we'll say, 20 big bets. That's 40 BB per week extra, granted by the poker gods, not by the fine play that got us to the 1BB expectation in the first place. 40 BB/week equals 1BB/hour.

Now let's say the gods grant us two more hold'em tickets on the river per week than we are mathematically entitled to. Now we're making an addition 1BB per hour, for a total of 3BB per hour. It ain't that unthinkable.

Tommy

10-10-2001, 03:03 AM
Wow thats a hell of a run. I know when I had the home games going one of my friends and I destroyed the games and that is why we never have them anymore (everybody wised up and quit). These games weren't raked at all though. Anyway I guess it is possible to hit an outrageous streak but for 18 months that still seems awfully unlikely. But I stand corrected and shouldn't have referred to Rounder as a liar. Sorry Rounder!

10-10-2001, 10:29 AM

10-10-2001, 01:56 PM
Well, Rounder is in fact running bad given his 5 bb per hour results from a year or two ago /images/smile.gif

Winning at either rate (2.5 bb or 5 bb) over this period of time requires incredible luck and extremely weak opposition who are there in droves to pay you off when you are having the run of incredible luck.

Rounder, obviously, I am green with envy. Hope your run continues.

10-10-2001, 02:29 PM
A few monhs ago, I chatted with a couple of Chicago area players on Planet Poker who said that Rounder is a big and consistent winner. So, I do not at all say that he is exaggerating with his 2.5 bb/ hour claim....good job, Rounder...now, how the hell do you do that???!!

10-10-2001, 04:33 PM
you were arrested...and fined $500!!!

but, yes, and I would guess that most of us have been there done that