PDA

View Full Version : AJo (well played? - i'm not sure)

StuR
09-05-2004, 02:18 PM
MP3 is a total LAG, he's been betting with anything.

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif. CO posts a blind of $0.50.
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, <font color="CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, CO (poster) calls, Button folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, BB calls, UTG+1 calls, MP3 calls, CO calls.

<font color="blue"> My raise here was a isolation raise, I am not in fear of MP3s hand and was thinking of trying to get rid of UTG+1 maybe even CO to go heads up with him. But now I remember that AJo is one of those odd hands that looks good but is usually over-rated. How's my play? </font>

Flop: (15 SB) 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif, T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, MP3 calls, CO folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, BB calls, UTG+1 calls, MP3 calls.

<font color="blue"> Flop gives me TPTK no flush possibilities but there are probably many straight draws. I try to protect my hand ( still getting used to making this play) I decide to check hoping (almost certain) that MP3 will bet and I can raise, hopefully shutting out at least UTG+1. But its bet and raised when it gets back to me. Do you like the 3-bet? I'm really not sure now. </font>

Turn: (13.50 BB) J/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB folds, UTG+1 calls, MP3 calls.

<font color="blue"> The rest of the hand plays itself, I believe. </font>

River: (16.50 BB) 5/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP3 calls.

Final Pot: 19.50 BB

What do you think?

StuR

Entity
09-05-2004, 02:32 PM
3-betting preflop is situational. I don't do it often, especially from the worst position on the table, but it's probably not bad in this instance.

Any reads on UTG+1? What's he raising here on the flop? I like the 3-bet c/r + lead turn, river.

Rob

StuR
09-05-2004, 02:43 PM
No reads on UTG+1 at the time in PT his VP$IP is 62% with 0% PFR

pokernose
09-05-2004, 03:01 PM
I don't particularly your reason for 3 betting here. You indicated that you didn't have a read on UTG+1, so you don't know that 3 betting will get rid of him. It really depends on your read on BB. If you believe he would call one bet, but not two then it was probably an acceptable raise, otherwise I would have called to see the flop cheaply and tried for a check raise on a friendly flop (which you had).

ThunderAces
09-05-2004, 03:19 PM
I generally muck AJo in BB for a raise definetly in SB. If you know something about MP3 then maybe call in BB but once people put money in in these games they're generally seeing the flop. Isolation usually works best when you are to the left of that player.
So first off I would fold the hand.
Ok the problem with the 3 bet on the flop is maybe u get the BB out but prob not the pot is already big. So many cards that come on the turn can make ur hand practically unplayable. I mean if a 7, 9 or Q hits on the turn ur hand is hurtin my friend. At this point I'd be wishing the isolation thing had worked cause I think you have MP3 beat /images/graemlins/smile.gif
I think you'd be better tring to c/r utg+1 on the turn maybe the BB gets out then, if he three bets you u can dump it esp if MP3 is still calling.
Anyhow I like the bet on the turn, you improved and it could check through we don't want that. Free card here to guts shots would be bad.