PDA

View Full Version : An Easy Big Slick question

10-08-2001, 08:30 PM
5-10 Paridise. UTG I hold: As Kc

I raise all fold to the button (who I think is one of the better players in the game - and very aggressive) who calls; blinds fold (heads up).

flop = 5h Ac Jc

I bet; button raises; I re-raise; button calls;

Turn = 3c

I bet; button folds. I win a useful, though smallish, pot. ($57)

Please comment on my analysis: He knows I would bet almost any flop as the UTG raiser hence, he raises to see where he stands and if the flop has really hit me. If I merely call, then he can assume the flop has not really helped much. By re-raising I later felt that I gave away my hand and now he knew to fold on the turn.

Is this correct, and should I have merely called to trap him into making a mistake?

10-08-2001, 08:40 PM
you had him beat ten different ways. the only way he'll call a raise is if it is correct, assuming you haven't been playing like a maniac.

after folding miserable hands all day in a smoke-filled room, i will do anything to win that one big bet - including letting him draw out ten times in a row.

but then, since i might play at paradise some day too, maybe i'm lying, or maybe i won't tell you the correct way to play it;)

10-08-2001, 08:48 PM
/images/smile.gif

yes, I had such a good hand it seemed a bit ludicrous to re-raise for one small bet when I didn't need him to fold.

regards, b.h.

p.s. no smoke on PP! and, unfortunately, I live a long way from California...

10-08-2001, 09:39 PM
face-to-face, there are a variety of ploys you could use to get him to call you. you could get a crazy look in your eye. you could see the inquisitiveness in his eyes - he WANTS to fold if you don't, he wants you to drop right away or to just save money. face-to-face, you can get a better idea of how crazy he thinks you are, you can make a bigger, more memorable impression one way or the other on previous plays - AND KNOW WHETHER YOU HAVE MADE THIS IMPRESSION BECAUSE YOU SEE HIM WATCHING OR NOT.

or at least that's what i'm guesing, having never played online. in any case, that bluff-or-not-hit-or-not situation you mentioned is not only one of the most cut-and-dry in poker, but also one of the most frequent, and you'll have it mastered in no time.

db

10-09-2001, 01:11 PM
Don't presume that he folded an ace. He could very well have cold-called preflop with a pocket pair and tried to move you off your pocket pair on the flop (or hoped you would back down on the flop and then muck to a bet on the turn). The real question is, would you have three-bet the flop with KK or QQ? Lots of times with pocket-pair vs pocket pair and an ace on the flop, the pot goes to whoever postures last on the flop.

Tommy

10-09-2001, 02:47 PM
You played that hand well. If he raises the turn you leave, if he calls you check the river either way you cant let him draw free cards when you have top pair with the nut kicker. Especialy with a chance for 4 suited cards on the board. If he is going to catch you got to make him pay.

10-09-2001, 09:14 PM
thanks for all comments - I normally play ring games and don't exactly excel at when heads-up.

with a pocket-pair (j-j, q-q, k-k) I probably would have moved off after his raise with an A in the flop - hence, he played the hand well.

thanks all.