PDA

View Full Version : Badly played 92s from BB heads-up

Fiddler
09-05-2004, 09:50 AM
Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, Hero checks.

Flop: (2.50 SB) 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls.

Turn: (2.25 BB) T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>

River: (4.25 BB) T/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: 6.25 BB

Hero shows 2s 9s (two pair, tens and nines).
MP1 shows Jd Js (two pair, jacks and tens).
Outcome: MP1 wins 6.25 BB.

I included the results since I'm not that interested in this particular hand... I just want to get some opinions on how to lose as little as possible in similar situations.

What about check-raising the flop and either fold to a 3-bet or if he just calls check-fold the turn unimproved? It would have to be a weird player to check behind me...

3rdEye
09-05-2004, 10:36 AM
I really don't see how you could've done anything differently here. If you check at any point, you're going to get bet into, and then you have to worry about a bluff. The river card is very scary, though.

InchoateHand
09-05-2004, 12:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I just want to get some opinions on how to lose as little as possible in similar situations.

[/ QUOTE ]

You already did. He didn't raise this PF. He didn't raise the flop. He didn't raise the turn. He didn't raise the river. You got off cheaply. Now, in this specific instance, calling down with his overpair may have actually netted him the most money--you may well have folded to a raise, but trust that over the long term, a player who plays a big PP this passively is a very good friend. He is maximizing your money when you win--he calls down, never finding out when his hand is good, and allowing people to draw out cheaply. HU is a funny animal--its not necessarily wrong to call down with just overcards, depending on your opponent, so there is a very good chance your two pair is good. Hell, most Party opponents would call down with 66 in the villian's position. You lost this hand, but I don't really see how you could have avoided it.