PDA

View Full Version : AQo heads-up against possible steal

Fiddler
09-05-2004, 06:11 AM
This was my first hand at the table and the only thing I'd noticed about CO was that he raised a lot preflop while I was waiting.

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, <font color="CC3333">CO raises</font>, Button folds, SB folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">CO caps</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (8.50 SB) J/images/graemlins/club.gif, 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (5.25 BB) 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (7.25 BB) Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls.

Final Pot: 9.25 BB

How stupid/not-stupid was this?

Cerril
09-05-2004, 06:26 AM
I get ill whenever I look back on hands like this in my own history, they seem so incredibly fishy.

I think you need to decide early on what you're going to do at that flop. I'm fairly sure I'd want to either checkraise/lead the turn or check/call the flop and checkraise the turn. I'm not saying that you couldn't just escape the hand entirely on the flop either, but with a read that this guy might overplay worse cards I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable with that. Your hand might be good all the way.

I wouldn't be terribly surprised to see TT (or even 99 or 88) there, -possibly- JJ, more likely a jack or two overs (hey, he could have complete junk too. I've seen this behavior from someone with precisely one live card on the river - something like 86 with a 479QA board - all the way up to and including calling on the river). Unfortunately your checkcalling makes a read a little difficult against most people I've seen at this limit.

ArturiusX
09-05-2004, 06:39 AM
A flush draw would worry me, I'd worry about a KQs or AXs.

I'd probably fold out of this fear, or some pocket cards.

umaga
09-05-2004, 07:01 AM
Heads up against a potential steal attempt I would not be worrying about flushes. Whats the point of making a stand and then looking for a reason to fold on the flop?

helpmeout
09-05-2004, 07:59 AM
I dont see anything wrong with it, those sort of players raise with any Ace or suited cards.

Best not to get into a raising war unless you hit something.

Ace high is worthy of calling to the river because of the raising preflop.