PDA

View Full Version : Why poker will be bigger than any other sport...

PokerNeal
09-05-2004, 01:00 AM
Not long ago a Texas newspaper published an article that went along the following theme...

"Anyone can win in poker! Say, you hold 6-3. The flop is 6-3-3. You flopped a full-house which is one of the biggest hands in poker! You have just won that hand with next to no effort!"

Unlike Golf or Basketball or any other major sport, poker holds the promise of alluring riches to just about anybody. The logic goes that two cards in the hand and 5 on the table ain't that difficult to master. The result? I predict we have what is the biggest sport to hit North America and the world.

Forget that little detail that any dummy can play good cards. To win in poker you must know how to play bad cards. You must know how to handle a long spell of dry and decidedly ugly card runs and hang in there until the going gets better. You must know how to fake a hand that you don't have and take money off the table. Never mind all that. Remember that 6-3 hand with a flop that gave you the full house? That will keep them coming off the couch and the back alleys in the hopes of making it big. They know too well they don't cut the grade in Golf or basketball or Chess or any other sport.... But poker? Man, all I need are some good cards and I take the crown baby!

The4thFilm
09-05-2004, 03:13 AM
Anyone that refers to poker as a sport should be slapped with a large trout.

3rdEye
09-05-2004, 04:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Anyone that refers to poker as a sport should be slapped with a large trout.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. Poker is as much of a sport as chess--that is, it's not. A game is not a sport simply because it involves skill.

Hell, I'd be more inclined to label marbles a sport than poker, because of the physical aspect of marbles.

Skunkbush
09-05-2004, 08:15 AM
Agreed.

dogmeat
09-05-2004, 11:41 AM
The great thing about all the press poker is currently getting is that the people writing about it have no idea what it really takes to win. The funny thing is, they don't send a totally clueless person to cover a chess match, but they will send anybody to cover poker. Oh well, at least they keep up the myth that "anybody can win"!

Dogmeat /images/graemlins/spade.gif