View Full Version : recent miss. poker trip....

10-05-2001, 09:26 PM
spent last week in miss.,,,mainly at poker tables....

1. started at silverstar in beautiful phila.(yeah same town)...has been my all time easiest to beat ll he. played 6-12 he 2,3 blinds...did not do as well as before...2 to 3 good players in game...still won 250 over 25 hours play...still very beatable...note...they spread on fri nite a 10,20,30 omaha g which had some very fishy players...lotta action....also usual 5-25 stud (mainly regulars)...also pot limit omaha 8...but no 10-20 he....

2. next gulfcoast played mainly at biloxi grand....reasonable 4-8 games...moved up to 10-20 he..must move g cake city....main g rock city...still won 300 over 2 days...did have one 20-40 he g going....

3. next vicksburg....ameristar only card room...easy 4-8 he with 1-2 blinds...bad beats, but still won 50...note had 10,20,30 omaha 8 which appeared cake city...not my g...lots of action...

4. ended at horseshoe at tunica...4-8 he with 4-8 blinds...reasonable games...better players than coast....moved to 10-20...cards ran over me ....cashed out 600 up...tight g

10-06-2001, 03:50 AM
Sounds like you had a good trip. Also, the cardrooms down there need to learn that spreading games where the blinds are half the normal size will give the better players too big of an edge over the weaker ones and these games tend to burn out.

10-08-2001, 04:50 PM
Mason,

I should have read your post before I did mine. Just come back from LV and played 4-8 at Bellagio and Mandalay. Two different structures. At Bellagio with the std 4-8 blinds, I found players to be tighter, so I played my usual TA style and won moderate amounts on 3 nights of play. At Mandalay with the 1-2 blind structure with high hand prizes for quads and SFs, players seems to be looser and with bigger pots. I found myself loosening my starting hands quite a bit and making marginal/questionable calls to see the flop and sometimes the turn and river too. For example, if dealt with low/mid pairs or suited connectors at early position, I tend to call more liberally as long as the pot is unraised. If the flops are overcards to my pair, I sometimes call to see the turn. My thoughts are that I include the possibility of hitting the high hand as part of my implied odds. Although I still won more at Mandalay my winnings would have been bigger had I stuck to the same tighter style I used at Bellagio because of the bets I could have saved with those loose calls.

...."where the blinds are the half the normal size will give the better players a bigger edge..." does this mean I should have not loosened at Mandalay, knowing that other players were calling more liberally?

Your thoughts, please.