PDA

View Full Version : I'm too weak to lay this down

fnord_too
09-04-2004, 10:27 PM
RV 10 K guarantee. After the rebuy. Im in about 25 (20 pay) with 97 left (so good shape, deep stack to blinds) BB 300, Im utg+1 with KK. chip leader calls, I raise to 1500 (leaves me about 7k). All fold to the chip leader who calls. Flop come AAA. Crap. I cant get away from his 2k, 2k, 3k bets and of course he has the ace. Two aces, one ace, I have no trouble laying this down. Very weak on my part, I had all the time in the world, no need to bust here.

BobboFitos
09-04-2004, 11:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
RV 10 K guarantee. After the rebuy. Im in about 25 (20 pay) with 97 left (so good shape, deep stack to blinds) BB 300, Im utg+1 with KK. chip leader calls, I raise to 1500 (leaves me about 7k). All fold to the chip leader who calls. Flop come AAA. Crap. I cant get away from his 2k, 2k, 3k bets and of course he has the ace. Two aces, one ace, I have no trouble laying this down. Very weak on my part, I had all the time in the world, no need to bust here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont think that's weak. You have the 2nd nuts... Dont feel bad he had quads. It wuld involve a monster read/abiliity to lay down kings there.

betgo
09-05-2004, 12:32 AM
Not really 2nd nuts. Opponent could have AK-A2. Since he called the raise, you might suspect he has an ace. What was he betting with? QQ, JJ, a bluff? When he keeps betting like that, you figure he either has an ace or is bluffing. If he had a fairly big pair, he would be scared you had an ace when you called, and might not keep firing.

Still there are only so many aces in the deck, so it seems unlikely he would have one. I can't really fault you on your play. It would be a hard laydown.

BobboFitos
09-05-2004, 02:51 AM
Betgo, it is the 2nd nuts because there is only 1 ace left; it doesn't matter if it's A-K, A-7, or A-2.

The only time I could lay this down is if my opponent showed me his holecards, and I got to see his ace.

Then again, this situation has never arisen with me, and I believe it's rare in general... If they have quads, power to them.

Plus... Who the hell leads out with quads!?!
Only time I would is if I *knew* opponent had a big PP...

As the original poster said, he has no trouble laying them down if an ace or 2 aces appear, but just can't with 3. I would agree wholeheartedly.

gergery
09-05-2004, 06:19 AM
But the next 5 times he does this with QQ-88 as hole cards you'll make money.

Percula
09-05-2004, 07:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Plus... Who the hell leads out with quads!?!
Only time I would is if I *knew* opponent had a big PP...

[/ QUOTE ]

And that is exactly why you might want to lead out with quads in a game with seasoned players like yourself. Anyone with king or PP will most likely think you are bluffing or think you have a similar hand and call or raise your attempt to "buy the pot".

betgo
09-05-2004, 08:45 AM
I don't know if it is a hand you can get away from, but I don't think quads are that unlikely here. If the flop came 222, and you had AA in a raised pot, you could be pretty sure you have the best hand. However, the guy called a raise, so what do you put him on before the flop? Either an ace or a pp.

To say you have the second nuts is misleading, because that sounds like you almost certainly have the best hand. Say the flop came K88 and you had KK. You would the second nuts. You would only be beaten if your opponent had 88 for quads. However, you can be much more certain you are ahead in that situation than in the situation you describe where 3 aces flop.