PDA

View Full Version : Set of 2s: is it impossible to keep someone off a draw?

TwoShedsJackson
09-04-2004, 07:57 PM
Flopped a set of 2s and bet them - when the 3rd card to the straight came on the river I basically knew it had made him his straight, yet still called. Would anyone fold on the river here or call his bet even though you're nigh on certain you're beat?

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG folds, Hero calls, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO calls, Button folds, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (4 SB) 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 2/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls, SB folds, BB calls.

Turn: (3.50 BB) Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls, BB calls.

River: (6.50 BB) 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls, CO folds.

Final Pot: 8.50 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 8.50 BB, between BB and Hero.</font>

thirddan
09-04-2004, 08:09 PM
you played this hand fine...many times you will have the great pleasure of flopping your set and still lose...You cannot fold this hand for one bet on the river when someone makes an unexpected bet when a scare card comes.

cnfuzzd
09-04-2004, 09:30 PM
folding ehre would be a fairly large mistake. And dont worry, you want those draws to play against your sets. You are a nice favorite to win unimproved, and you have great redraw capabilities.

btw, did he really have the straight?

peace

john nickle

TwoShedsJackson
09-04-2004, 09:32 PM
Unfortunately he did, yes. He had the 5 and 6 of diamonds. Of course it also put three hearts on the board, which I didn't even notice at the time /images/graemlins/smile.gif

3rdEye
09-04-2004, 10:10 PM
At these limits, a lot of people will bet on the river when a scare card comes, even when they don't have the goods. At this point in the hand, unless I have a read, I'm not folding a set for one more bet. BB could have a straight (or have backdoored his flush), but he could also have been drawing with a hand like T9 or J9. If he put you on top pair on the flop, he might think his 9 is good on the river.