PDA

View Full Version : Rounder technical error...

10-04-2001, 07:46 PM
i was just thinking the other day about the opening narration to rounders. mikey's going to KGB's place, and he's talking about winning strategy etc. he says the goal is one big bet per hour, which we've all heard a million times. but he's going to a No-Limit game. there is no standard big bet in no-limits for obvious intrinsic reasons. why does he say that when he's going to a no-limit game? sure, he plays other games through the course of the movie, and for all other limit games, thats a good benchmark. but if you are starting a movie out, and you are introducing poker to the viewer who doesn't know poker, then why confuse him with this?

10-04-2001, 08:46 PM
he's talking about the difference between grinding it out and taking a shot at the big score. in the opening, he has decided to give up the one big bet an hour grind and take a shot at KGB.

10-04-2001, 10:44 PM
I've spoken to dozens of people who saw Rounders who are not poker players. They were baffled by most of the movie. They simply didn't undertand what the characters were talking about.

Most of them didn't like it because they cound't understand it.

So, for most people, it wouldn't make any difference if the opening narration was accurate or not. They simply wouldn't understand or be interested in it.

I loved the movie but my wife, a non-player, hated it.

10-05-2001, 02:10 AM

10-05-2001, 02:11 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think in the movie he said "one big pot per hour".

10-05-2001, 07:15 AM
You're wrong. It's "one big bet an hour."

"In Response To: Re: Rounder technical error... (Andy Fox)

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think in the movie he said "one big pot per hour".

10-05-2001, 07:23 AM
I haven't seen the movie in a month or two, but I do have the screen play. When he says "one big bet an hour," we don't know he's going to a no limit game. He's more introducing a basic strategy to the viewers.

10-05-2001, 09:08 AM
Yes he's explaining the life of a professional poker player. An idea of there goals of what they expect to make in particular games. Just an introduction, I think he says something about now taking a shot in the big game or something.

10-05-2001, 12:42 PM

10-05-2001, 05:06 PM
when playing against kgb at the end the blinds are 25-50 i beleieve. they both have 10k damon get KK and makes it 1000 to go.betting 1000 into a 75 pot is a complete sucker play. no one would do this. the guy who wrote the movie is obviously a limit player. if chan would have been on hte set that day he would have pointed out the error.

can you imagine at the wsop w/ the blinds 2500-5000 someone opening for a million. its ludacris.

10-07-2001, 08:52 PM
Actually when I saw the movie I didn't know the rules of texas holdem. Alot of the sequences I didn't konw exactly what had happened but I was sure "something bad" had just happened.

I thought even if you didn't know exactly what had happened you still had (or at least i did) a good idea if it was a good things or bad and the possible consequences. It doesn't matter that someone was drawing dead practically dead and lost his bankroll, all that matters is someone just lost all their in money in a probably bad decision.

10-09-2001, 07:59 PM
i don't think you can presume that nobody would make that move. are you a world class player? if you were, perhaps you might be able to have a valid comment on the play. but since you aren't how the hell can you say that nobody makes that kind of bet? ive seen people go all in and attack the blinds with some outrageous-sized stacks. the movie is portraying two people with different and very dramatic goals in playing the game. its a great pot to have first, escalating very quickly to an all in.... very dramatic.

10-13-2001, 05:45 PM
To set the record straight, Mike says "Grind it out, the goal is to win one big BET per hour, Put your money in when you have the best hand and protect it when you don't". PRETTY GOOD ADVICE