PDA

View Full Version : Is there any merit to my turn/river line here?

balkii
09-04-2004, 04:01 PM
part 5/10 6max

opponent in this hand is rather tight (20% VPIP) and decently aggressive postflop but not so much pf (8% PFR)

I raise UTG with Ah Qh, two coldcalls, and villian calls in the BB.

Flop: 7h 5h Kh

villian checks, I bet, 1 fold, 1 call, villain checkraises, I 3-bet, limper folds, villain calls. Headsup

turn 9c

check check

river Qc

villian bets I raise.

tripdad
09-04-2004, 04:16 PM
why would you want to push out the cold-caller behind you?

i would smooth call until the river...all the while praying for another /images/graemlins/heart.gif or K.

i think you cost yourself 2 1/2 BB by 3-betting the flop.

cheers!

balkii
09-04-2004, 04:23 PM
why would you want to push out the cold-caller behind you?

of course I dont. but If he's gonna call the checkraise he'll probably call the 3-bet.

i would smooth call until the river...all the while praying for another (heart) or K.

what kind of action can I expect from a tight/decent player when another heart hits? the 1st and 2nd nut hearts are not in his hand.

vector
09-05-2004, 03:54 AM
I take it you were afraid he was folding to a turn bet and hoping you could induce a renewed attack after you check the turn? Which seems to have panned out ok.

But, I much prefer betting the turn - if he has a decent non-flush draw hand he will hopefully read you for an A high flush draw and call both turn and river if no heart falls. 2 bets to you here.

Since he's decent, he's likely not drawing to the flush only himself as you say, but he may have a pair + flush draw that he wants to showdown. 2 bets to you here too.

Finally, what if he flopped a set or two pair? He check raised the flop, and may have called your 3 bet in order to check raise again on the turn, but you denied him the chance with the check behind. In this case you lost out on a 3 bet or even him capping the turn. Mitigated somewhat by the fact that you can now go to war on the river, but he might stop sooner here where he knows you can't be drawing now.

I think the way you played it you may make two bets occasionally from a hand that was going to fold otherwise on the turn, but not often enough to make up for the 2 bets you will quite often get anyway by betting the turn and river, and the missed bets if he had a set or two pair (and you also gave him a free draw to beat your hand by filling up in these cases).

Michael Davis
09-05-2004, 06:28 AM
I think you should really only ever make a play like this if you are playing against the same opponent every day. There is merit to this line, but I don't think it's optimal.

-Michael

Trix
09-05-2004, 09:20 AM
Bet the turn, he will sometimes call and bet out on the river and call a raise. He will very often go to showdown.

bicyclekick
09-05-2004, 02:22 PM
Bet the turn. You're not giving him to make the mistake of check/raising. I really don't see him folding and you're really not giving yourself a chance to extract the max.

balkii
09-05-2004, 05:13 PM
this is spot on.

I will definitely bet the turn next time.

balkii
09-05-2004, 05:15 PM
he had K7s for flopped top two. Definitely should have bet the turn...