PDA

View Full Version : Official "2+2 NFL Challenge- 2004" rules- suggested changes??

Easy E
09-04-2004, 03:39 PM
Okay, here are the official rules for the "2+2 NFL Challenge- 2004" handicappers contest. Feel free to make suggested changes and I'll take them under advisement- but do it quickly

####

1. Each week, I will post the official contest line in 2+2, in this forum. Primarily I will take the lines from the Stardust sports book online. I may make up missing lines myself to beat the game-posting deadline. I will wait as long as is feasible in order to get as many Stardust lines as possible.

Once I post the line for the games, they will NOT change, even if the outside lines change. Feel free to take advantage. Occasionally I may post the 2+2 lines with some games missing, catching up when the sports books do.

2. Similar to last year, your picks should be listed in the following manner:
$400 Buffalo -7
$300 Eagles +4
$200 Raiders + 7.5
$100 Chiefs even

The official 2+2 line is the only correct point spread. If your list is incorrect, it will be ignored /corrected for you in the master ledger

3. Each contestant MUST post 4 games, listing the team they are choosing, along with the amount of the bet on that game. There must be one $400 bet, one $300, one $200 and one $100

Unlike last year, I will not be guessing as to the bet values or order, or looking throughout the Gambling forum for posts that might qualify as your picks. If your post isn't clear and you don't correct it in time, your picks will be assumed to match up with the lowest bet at the bottom.

<font color="red"> So, if you post " Jets +3, Lions -4" and nothing else, you will have a $200 bet on the Jets, a $100 bet on the Lions AND you will have two automatic losses for the $400 and $300 picks </font>

4. Your picks must be posted in the official "2+2 NFL Challenge- 2004: Week XX" thread that I will start each week. Your post must be time-stamped at least 1 hour EST prior to the network-listed start time of the game. The 2+2 forum timestamp is the official time for determining this.

That means that, if you intend to use the Indy/Patriots game this week, your picks post must be time-stamped on the 2+2 server by 8 p.m. EST on Thursday 9/9/04.

Any changes to your picks must be posted by the same deadline. I will generally post a "Challenge now closed" reply to indicate this, but not always.

5. Scoring- you must beat the point spread to "win" your money points that you "bet" on the game. Ties against the official 2+2 line's point spread are worth $0. Losses subtract from your bankroll, which starts at $0.

6. I will post the updated standings by the following week, usually the day after the next game.

7. This process will repeat throughout the year for each week of the regular season. When we get within a few weeks of the end of the regular season, we will work out some method of PM the picks for the leaders, so no advantages can be lost by your posting before the others.

8. Any tiebreakers needed for the end of the year to determine the final 2+2 champ, will be as follows:
a) Total win-loss record
b) Some secondary tiebreaker- possibly a playoff game challenge.

9. I will finalize all arbitration decisions that are required. Appeals must go through me (bribes are encouraged- compliments don't count). If the conflict involves me, no whining when you get screwed over. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

<font color="purple"> Do not be surprised if I use this unfettered power to cheat my way to victory at the end of the year. Don't try to claim that I didn't warn you </font> /images/graemlins/grin.gif

10. The only prize won by the champion is the satisfaction of victory and the ability to list themselves as the 2+2 Master NFL Handicapper. Don't come looking for your gold crown and WSOP-level cash.
<font color="green"> By the way, the reigning 2003 champ is Wake up CALL, with myself as a close second. </font>

(We would have had a prize, but it would be too tempting for me to make a deal with Mat Sklansky, allowing me to change posts after the games are over /images/graemlins/cool.gif )

#######

Okay, that's it. Now, besides any other debate on the above, please help decide the following-

Rule #3- 4 required bets: Should we allow people to make less than 4 bets if they choose, without suffering automatic losses for the missing bets?
Unlike last year, when sitting out was always a disadvantage, there may be a strategy gain for only posting a few bets as you choose, or sitting out a week. I see this mainly being an end-of-year strategy.

I only have this listed as an automatic penalty because that was sort of in place last year with the points (when we weren't subtracting for losses)

Rule #8- Tiebreaker: Should the first tiebreaker be total wins, or highest winning percentage?

Comments are due by Monday evening 9/6/04, so that I can post any final rule revisions before posting the first official 2+2 line for Week #1

Easy E, All-Powerful NFL Moderator

natedogg
09-05-2004, 12:28 PM
We should have spreads AND totals as the available bets.

natedogg

Easy E
09-06-2004, 07:24 AM
we'll see- if we get more votes behind it, maybe we'll add it later in the season

Wake up CALL
09-06-2004, 06:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Rule #3- 4 required bets: Should we allow people to make less than 4 bets if they choose, without suffering automatic losses for the missing bets?

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely not! That is unless I go 8 for 8 the first two weeks then it will be OK, I'll set out the rest of the season and retain my Title. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Rule #8- Tiebreaker: Should the first tiebreaker be total wins, or highest winning percentage?

[/ QUOTE ]

Again it should be total wins, all handicapping contests have a finite time interval in which you are expected to participate. I might suggest a split season though. There could be a first half winner, a second half winner then either allow the playoffs to determine the champion or the cumulative score between the two winners for the entire season to be the determining factor. Just a thought. This wouldn't hold a bad couple of weeks totally against you and would keep up the interest throughout the entire season.

Easy E
09-06-2004, 09:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely not! That is unless I go 8 for 8 the first two weeks then it will be OK, I'll set out the rest of the season and retain my Title. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

<font color="blue"> The only problem is, people can sit out without penalty as well. We can't dock late handicappers a grand a week that they miss... </font>

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Again it should be total wins, all handicapping contests have a finite time interval in which you are expected to participate. I might suggest a split season though. There could be a first half winner, a second half winner then either allow the playoffs to determine the champion or the cumulative score between the two winners for the entire season to be the determining factor. Just a thought. This wouldn't hold a bad couple of weeks totally against you and would keep up the interest throughout the entire season.
<font color="blue"> I'll take that latter idea under advisement, maybe put it out there as we get close to mid-point. </font>

Easy E
09-08-2004, 10:06 AM
See rule #4

Easy E
09-10-2004, 09:54 AM
Ignore this post from here on in.