PDA

View Full Version : My first 6-max session

Peter
09-04-2004, 02:34 PM
After getting bored playing holdem and hearing the good stories from a friend about 6-max, I decided to give it a try. Unlike my friend, who immediately got in the 5-10 game, I started at 1-2. In the full ring games I usually played 4 tables, but for this session I stuck to one table only and I will continue to do so for a while.
I'm pretty unsure about a lot of things when playing 6-max, so I'll probably have some questions that might seem boring to you.
Here are a couple of hands from the session:

There's a LAG three to my left and to the left of the LAG is a calling station who basically just calls. I haven't seen him do anything else besides calling and folding, and haven't seen any of his hands.

Hand 1:
Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed)

Preflop: Peter is BB with J/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG calls, MP calls, CO <font color="purple">(LAG)</font> calls, Button calls, SB completes, <font color="CC3333">Peter raises</font>, UTG calls, MP calls, <font color="CC3333">CO <font color="purple">(LAG)</font> 3-bets</font>, Button calls, SB calls, <font color="CC3333">Peter caps</font>, UTG folds, MP calls, CO <font color="purple">(LAG)</font> calls, Button calls, SB calls.

Flop: (22 SB) K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif, 4/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>

<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, Peter calls, MP calls, <font color="CC3333">LAG raises</font>, Button calls, SB calls, Peter calls, MP calls.

My intention was to bet the flop, however, SB beat me to it. I had been at the table for a couple of hands and every hand there were 3 or 4 players to the turn, even for multiple raises, so I figured raising wouldn't do me any good. So I called.

Turn: (16 BB) Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Peter bets</font>, MP folds, LAG calls, Button calls, SB calls.

River: (20 BB) 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Peter raises</font>, LAG folds, Button folds, <font color="CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Peter caps</font>, SB calls.

Hand 2:

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed)

Preflop: Peter is SB with K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="CC3333">UTG <font color="purple">(LAG)</font> raises</font>, MP <font color="purple">(CS)</font> calls, Button folds, <font color="CC3333">Peter 3-bets</font>, BB folds, <font color="CC3333">UTG <font color="purple">(LAG)</font> caps</font>, MP <font color="purple">(CS)</font> calls, Peter calls.

Flop: (13 SB) 4/images/graemlins/club.gif, 2/images/graemlins/club.gif, 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Peter bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">LAG raises</font>, CS calls, Peter calls.

Turn: (9.50 BB) J/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
Peter checks, <font color="CC3333">LAG bets</font>, CS calls, Peter calls.

River: (12.50 BB) K/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Peter bets</font>, LAG calls, CS folds.

Hand 3:
I'm pretty sure I messed this hand up.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed)

A lot of hands got to the flop 5 or 6 handed and unraised.
Should I have called preflop?
Preflop: Peter is UTG with Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
Peter calls, MP folds, Button calls, SB <font color="purple">(LAG)</font> completes, BB <font color="purple">(CS)</font> checks.

Flop: (4 SB) J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
LAG checks, CS checks, <font color="CC3333">Peter bets</font>, Button calls, <font color="CC3333">LAG raises</font>, CS calls, Peter calls, Button calls.

I'm pretty sure LAG doesn't have anything, so I plan on raising the turn. Heads-up this might have been a good idea, but I gues with two other players in this is just stupid? What do you think?

Turn: (6 BB) 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">LAG bets</font>, CS calls, <font color="CC3333">Peter raises</font>, Button folds, LAG calls, CS calls.

I'm now definately in front of LAG, and CS doesn't bother me that much since he has been calling a lot this session.

River: (12 BB) 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
LAG checks, CS checks, <font color="CC3333">Peter bets</font>, LAG calls, <font color="CC3333">CS raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">Peter 3-bets</font>, LAG folds, <font color="CC3333">CS caps</font>, Peter calls.

Since CS hadn't raised much, should I give him more credit and not 3bet?

Thanks in advance,
Peter

tripdad
09-04-2004, 03:07 PM
hand 1:

i will usually fold here with Lag yet to act. i do not want to be caught between 2 raisors having a gutshot vulnerable to redraw. 2nd choice is calling. on the turn, why not check/raise and try to trap them both for at least 2 bets...assume LAG will bet if checked to and play accordingly.

hand 2:

this is OK against a LAG and a CS, but don't become a calling station yourself. again, where's the C/R on the river?

hand 3:

very bad preflop call. Ed Miller talks about preflop hands this way, and he's pretty smart:

3 things to describe a hand...suitedness, connectedness, high card value.

you want your hands to have at least 2 of these 3 things going for it in order to play it. Q6s has only 1. fold it unless you are in the SB in an unraised pot.

in short handed games, high card hands win the money. unless you are at a very loose AND passive table, even low and middle suited connectors must be dumped.

cheers!

Grisgra
09-04-2004, 05:44 PM
I like the way you only have hands that you hit big /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Hand #1:
On the flop, you have a huge pot -- you raise, but you've currently got ace-high, it's going to be very difficult to get a T to fold -- and you have only four outs you know are clean. I'm wondering whether it's +EV to raise this?

Hand #2
Wondering about the overcall on the turn. I think it's close -- someone could already have two pair or a straight (and not raising until the river just to keep you in), your 6 outs aren't necessarly clean (esp. the K /images/graemlins/club.gif ) . . . if you figure 5 outs, which may be a tad optimistic, your odds are about 8:1 on the turn.

Okay, I take it all back, made sense to call. Just had to do the math . . .

Hand #3: I can't analyze this hand in good conscience, since you called UTG with Q6s. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

chio
09-04-2004, 06:48 PM
hand 1
i like raising the flop

hand 2
looks good

hand 3
fold preflop
fold the fold
fold the turn
bet the river and call a raise
yes the presence of 2 opponents makes this unplayable
even HU against a LAG i don't think you have enough hand to play back at him or call him down

Nemesis
09-05-2004, 05:59 PM
Something that stripsqueeze taught me when i was just a n00b to these boards was in SH play 2 things matter. High card value and posistion, in that order (with the exception of pocket pairs maybe). So think do i have good high card strength am I in good posistion before you play anything.

Guido
09-06-2004, 10:13 AM
Hand 1: Preflop is fine, I'm not folding on the flop in a big pot like this like tripdad suggested. I defenately check-raise the turn and bet the river.

Hand 2: Seems fine although I would sometimes check-raise the river, against this opponent I probably would.

Hand 3: Uhm what are you doing? Fold preflop, fold flop, bet the turn and fold to a raise (except from the LAG). I think I would call the river raise, would he raise on a board like this without the J? Would he raise on a JJ66 board with a flush? If so I like it but a calling station probably doesn't do that.

Thanks,

Guido

Peter_rus
09-06-2004, 11:11 AM
First two are nice. 3th is terrible. If i misclicked and call this sh*t UTG i would defenitely check-fold flop. Or maybe check-raise if all folded except a LAG who bets.

Peter
09-06-2004, 11:24 AM
Thanks all for the comments. I guess I could have put in a checkraise in hands 1 and 2.
I don't know what I was thinking with hand one. Maybe "but it was soooted" /images/graemlins/crazy.gif. I just jammed my head into the wall so I won't do it again. Those stars are pretty /images/graemlins/grin.gif.

Peter

kiddo
09-06-2004, 12:38 PM
hand 1 ok

hand 2
against 1 LAG and one calling station its not much point in betting unimrpoved overcards, they will call anyway and as long as you dont hit turn you will have no idea if u are in the lead or not.

hand 3
lowest hand I play with is QTs and I always raise with it. at 1/2 I would probably also call Q9s but not Q8s, makes to few straights.

Why are you betting flop against 3 players with Q high?

[ QUOTE ]
I'm pretty sure LAG doesn't have anything, so I plan on raising the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont get it. Are you playing against a LAG that never hits? Normally LAGs hit a lot because they see everything to showdown. Why should Q high be ahead? Why should you raise a LAG on turn with nothing? He isnt folding.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm now definately in front of LAG

[/ QUOTE ]

??? You got bottom pair. You are not definitely ahead of anyone. 2 random cards will be ahead of pair of 6s pretty often.

Fold this hand preflop. Or if not, check-fold flop. Or if not, call or fold turn. Or if not, dont 3bet river. Which hands do you think will raise on 2paired riverboard that cant beat lowest house?