PDA

View Full Version : Why a lack of deep stacks can be annoying.

EnderW27
09-04-2004, 02:07 PM
Three orbits into a SnG, blinds are 25/50. I've played a total of one hand to completion for a split pot. The rest I've folded and I'm down to 750.

I'm on the button with AJ, folded to LP who raises to 100. I call, so does BB.

Flop comes undercards. BB checks, Raiser bets 100. I'm putting him on overcards here and I raise to 300, BB folds. LP reraises all-in. Now I put him on a pair larger than my jacks and I have to fold. He shows AA.

I made a move, it failed and I got out when I was sure I was beat. Nevertheless, I'm down to about 325 in chips with the blinds at 25/50 and now my only choice until I get some chips is all-in.

Sure, at least I wasn't knocked out right then, and sure, there's always another SnG starting in about .00001 seconds, but it's still frustrating that if you don't get anything worth playing in the first two orbits, your options become too limited.
It's not possible to make a play, have it fail, and still keep enough chips to remain comfortable.

Desdia72
09-04-2004, 02:24 PM
Party SNG. i honestly find it hard to play skillful poker on a site that starts your stacks at 800 and 1000. i was thinking of putting some money on Party and trying out their lower level SNGs. i downloaded PP and played their play money SNGs first to get a feel of their structure. to say the least, i did'nt like it at all (i'm a Pokerstars player) even though i made in the top three spots the majority of the ones i played (it was mostly due to the horrendous play of the other players and had nothing to do with how good or skillful my play was). one or two big losses early, even with good hands, can leave you either crippled or out. IMO, a skillful player's edge is decreased with PP's structure. Pokerstars has Turbo SNGs where the fast blind structure increase is similar to Party's but you're still given 1500 starting chips to work with. not that you want to, but i'd say try Stars out. to me, Party is just that...a Party and it's too much of a crapshoot-luckfest for my taste.

EnderW27
09-04-2004, 03:06 PM
It's actually Empire, which is a skin of Party. I've never played at PS before.

Phill S
09-05-2004, 09:28 AM
if there were no good points to party, why do:
a, so many people on here play it
b, so many people on here play it profitably

think about it

Phill

adanthar
09-05-2004, 03:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Three orbits into a SnG, blinds are 25/50. I've played a total of one hand to completion for a split pot. The rest I've folded and I'm down to 750.

[/ QUOTE ]

Based on the tone of this post, it's apparent you've missed something obvious: assuming you're playing at $30 or under, the next 10 hands will cost you 10% of your stack. Nothing in particular to worry about just yet.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm on the button with AJ, folded to LP who raises to 100. I call

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? Do you think putting 1/7'th of your stack on the line with AJ is +EV? Conversely, if, for some reason, you think he's bluffing, why are you just calling?

[ QUOTE ]
Flop comes undercards. BB checks, Raiser bets 100. I'm putting him on overcards here and I raise to 300

[/ QUOTE ]

Why are you putting him on overcards? Because he's played that way earlier, it's slightly more likely statistically, or because you see undercards and automatically assume he has AK?

[ QUOTE ]
it's still frustrating that if you don't get anything worth playing in the first two orbits, your options become too limited.

[/ QUOTE ]

You had 750 chips with 25/50 blinds. You can easily go another 20 hands without playing one and come back to win.

[ QUOTE ]
It's not possible to make a play, have it fail, and still keep enough chips to remain comfortable.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then don't make plays?