PDA

View Full Version : KQo in MP2 - Someone else leads the turn. Now what?

Fiddler
09-04-2004, 01:47 PM
Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, MP1 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (5.50 SB) 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif, T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: (3.75 BB) 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (5.75 BB) 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 7.75 BB

Not sure what the best play is on the turn... I'm preflop raiser, betted the flop and now he leads the turn... Is it ok to call-down?

Jaran
09-04-2004, 05:54 PM
Hey Fiddler,
I don't think calling down is terrible, as the 9 completes a str8. I would be tempted to raise the turn, however (but I'm completely insane)

-Jaran

Gomez22
09-04-2004, 06:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Is it ok to call-down?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. His bet tells you you're probably beat. My guess would be either he hit his straight or he made 2 pair, although most thinking players would check-raise the turn here..... I call this down every time.

Sidekick
09-04-2004, 07:19 PM
I would call this down. Your opponent may have hit a straight, he could have been slowplaying tens and eights, or he could have just hit trip nines or something else. Without a read it is hard to say with any certainty at this level.

I would fear I was beaten, but I'm not laying down top pair with a good kicker in this situation.

Jimbobobb
09-04-2004, 08:36 PM
Calling down seems fine - however I've seen a LOT of people lately pull this call/bet the turn crap against pre-flop raisers with top pair or even any piece of the board, or when a scare card hits, especially when there's no ace on the board. I really don't understand the whole "he raised pre-flop, and the flop came rags, I'm gonna push him off his AK!" garbage. If I had seen this person pull this before, I'd raise here. But without any particular information calling seems best.

Rhone
09-04-2004, 08:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've seen a LOT of people lately pull this call/bet the turn crap against pre-flop raisers with top pair or even any piece of the board, or when a scare card hits, especially when there's no ace on the board. I really don't understand the whole "he raised pre-flop, and the flop came rags, I'm gonna push him off his AK!" garbage.

[/ QUOTE ]

I see this all the time as well. I'm having some success getting them to fold in such situations with a raise.

Rhone.

Fiddler
09-05-2004, 03:49 AM
UTG+1 showed K /images/graemlins/heart.gif T /images/graemlins/spade.gif for a flopped two pair.

Gatts
09-05-2004, 03:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
UTG+1 showed K /images/graemlins/heart.gif T /images/graemlins/spade.gif for a flopped two pair.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, he played that a bit wrongly. He check/calls the flop to get in a check-raise, sees the nine, gets scared, and bets out...

A check-raise here would've been beautiful, but only because I love check-raises.

Cerril
09-05-2004, 04:17 AM
Yeah... a few of my proudest moments in recent sessions for me have been times when I'm sitting on overcards or a draw as the PFRaiser in a steal position, saw someone play back at me on the flop, then either reraise or checkraise the turn against a blank to see a gratifying and expected fold.