PDA

View Full Version : Dirty outs-- is this worth a call?

edthayer
09-04-2004, 12:35 PM
Hero has A /images/graemlins/spade.gif Q /images/graemlins/club.gif in middle position. UTG raises, UTG+2 calls, MP1 folds, Hero 3-bets, MP3 folds, CO calls, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds, UTG caps, UTG+1 folds, Hero calls, CO calls.

POT: 7.5 BB

I think this might be my least favorite preflop action for AQo. I just don't like it.

Flop:
5 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 3 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 6 /images/graemlins/club.gif

UTG bets, Hero calls, CO calls.

POT: 9 BB

Turn:
J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

UTG bets, Hero folds, CO calls.

Any thoughts?

Jaran
09-04-2004, 01:26 PM
Hey edthayer,
Unless you know that UTG is a maniac or raises light, this is a pretty easy (though somewhat painful) laydown pf. If it were suited, I think a case could be made for either cc'ing or 3betting. After your 3bet, I would raise the flop. If he 3bets, I'm calling and folding the turn unimproved. If he calls, I make my decision based on the turn action.

-Jaran

edthayer
09-04-2004, 01:28 PM
You lay down AQo preflop to a raise?

That sounds fine to me, if only to avoid these unpleasant situations.

Brian
09-04-2004, 01:30 PM
Hi Ed,

I recommend reading the essay in John Feeney's "Inside the Poker Mind" entitled "Do you pass the AQ test?". To sum it up in a few words, if an unknown is raising from early position, your AQ should hit the muck as fast as AJ would.

Your Turn fold was good.

-Brian

Jaran
09-04-2004, 01:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You lay down AQo preflop to a raise?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I do. Unless I have a solid read on the guy's raising standards (like the ones who raise any suited A) being light. Think about it, if the guy is somewhat solid, what hands is he raising UTG? AA-TT (possibly 99),AK-AJ, possibly KQ. Out of those hands, which ones do you want to play your AQo against?

-Jaran

edthayer
09-04-2004, 01:48 PM
What are your standards for calling in the blinds against an EP raise?

I will call AJo and KQo in the BB against a single raise from any position. Is this too loose?

Entity
09-04-2004, 01:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What are your standards for calling in the blinds against an EP raise?

I will call AJo and KQo in the BB against a single raise from any position. Is this too loose?

[/ QUOTE ]
KJo, definitely. AJo, if you'll call it every time, definitely. Both of these hands are likely dominated by the majority of PFR hands (even at micros), you have lousy position, and don't have suitedness to make up for it. I muck these routinely, unless I KNOW the PFR to be a monkey.

Rob

Jaran
09-04-2004, 05:57 PM
I'm usually pretty tight after a raise, even in the BB. A lot depends on how many people have already called the raise. AJo and KQo, however, are routinely hitting the muck.

-Jaran