PDA

View Full Version : A preflop push, commnets? $50 NL 6-Max

JrJordan
09-04-2004, 11:57 AM
I normally don't make a move like this, however, I think in this situation it may have been the most +EV.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $1 BB (6 max, 6 handed)

CO ($79)
Button ($181.60)
SB ($58.25)
Hero ($53.55)
UTG ($118.30)
MP ($65)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="CC3333">UTG raises to $3</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP raises to $9</font>, CO folds, Button calls $9, SB calls $8.50, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to $53.55 (All-In)</font>,

Some comments on the players in this hand. UTG and Button are both extremely loose players. UTG's raise could be any Ace or even a hand like JT. I also have no respect for the reraise from the button. He's pushed all in preflop with 47o and such. With two cold callers afterward, I'm getting a great overlay to play this hand. I'm almost certain that at least one of the loosies will play this hand, even if it's garbage. I figure at best one calls with a dominated ace, or at worst a coin flip with a pocket pair. I am NOT worried about AA or KK. Having said all this, is the push here the best play? I don't really want to cold call a fifth of my stack to see the flop with four other players. A push gives me at worst 50-50 here with an overly of around $20. Comments?

Burno
09-04-2004, 12:26 PM
What do you put MP on?

JrJordan
09-04-2004, 12:46 PM
Sorry, correction. The loose maniac is MP, not the button. No reads on the cold caller, but the reraise I have no respect for.

fimbulwinter
09-04-2004, 02:09 PM
hmmm

lots of people say that AK is a good all-in hand in tournaments but shouldn't be in ring games. i personally have pushed in a time or two with AK in a ring game, and, given your reads, i'd say it's fine here, esp with the money that's already gone in the pot.
I think the real issue here is your table image. if you're a rock, this is -ev for sure, as nobody will even think of calling this overbet with anything but AA/KK. if you're an agressor at the table, you might get called by a dominated ace, which would be nice.
i (as is my nautre) like the aggro, and according to your reads, it was a good move, but i'd like to hear how you feel the table viewed you, as this aspect, IMHO, is the most important part.

fim

Triumph36
09-04-2004, 02:16 PM
There's already $30 in the pot by the time the action gets to Hero. I think it's a push or fold situation, because AK out of position cold-calling is brutal, and I've mucked it in the blinds to a raise and re-raise before.

The only thing I am worried about here is that almost surely one (or more) of your aces or kings is in someone else's hand, so if you do get called by QQ/JJ/TT/99, you're not even money.

I like the play.

felson
09-04-2004, 02:23 PM
I like it. The pot is big, so create some dead money or take it down.

JrJordan
09-04-2004, 02:24 PM
Honestly, with this table I don't think it mattered what my image was. The two raisers in this hand were unbelieveable loose, the reraise was pretty much a maniac. I figure I have at worst a 50-50 chance to win with a $20 overlay, or a good chance to dominate. I was just curious if anyone recommended the cold call instead of the push.