PDA

View Full Version : On a $1/2 Slide - A Few Hands for Review

Festus22
09-04-2004, 07:43 AM
Bad week at Party $1/2. Here's a few of the losers. Thoughts?

Hand 1
Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (8 handed)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
Hero calls, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, CO calls, Button calls, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (6 SB) 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls, CO calls, Button calls, SB folds, BB calls.

Turn: (5.50 BB) 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls, CO calls, Button folds, BB folds.

River: (8.50 BB) K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, CO folds, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 10.50 BB

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Hero shows As 8s (one pair, eights).
MP2 shows 9c Jc (one pair, jacks).
Outcome: MP2 wins 10.50 BB. </font>

Hand 2
Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (8 handed)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with T/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG folds, Hero calls, <font color="CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, MP2 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB calls, BB folds, Hero calls.

Flop: (7 SB) 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls, SB calls.

Turn: (5 BB) 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>

River: (8 BB) 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>

Final Pot: 11 BB

Hero shows Ts Qs (two pair, queens and threes).
MP1 shows Kc Ks (two pair, kings and threes).
SB shows Kh Qc (two pair, queens and threes).
Outcome: MP1 wins 11 BB. </font>

Hand 3
Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
Hero calls, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, <font color="CC3333">Button raises</font>, SB calls, BB calls, Hero calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: (10 SB) 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls, Button calls, SB folds, BB calls.

Turn: (7 BB) 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls, Button calls, <font color="CC3333">BB raises</font>, Hero calls, MP1 calls, Button folds.

River: (14 BB) K/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks, MP1 checks.

Final Pot: 14 BB

BB shows Js Tc (straight, jack high).
Hero shows Ah 8h (one pair, eights).
MP1 shows Jh Jc (one pair, jacks).
Outcome: BB wins 14 BB. </font>

Hand 4
Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB calls, UTG calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: (8.50 SB) 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG folds, MP1 folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (5.25 BB) 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls.

River: (9.25 BB) K/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls.

Final Pot: 13.25 BB

BB shows 5c 5s (three of a kind, fives).
Hero shows Ks As (two pair, aces and kings).
Outcome: BB wins 13.25 BB. </font>

3rdEye
09-04-2004, 07:50 AM
Fold A8s UTG preflop.

helpmeout
09-04-2004, 09:38 AM
1. A8s UTG is pretty marginal, betting the flop is fair enough since you can make a runner runner flush but on the turn all you have is second pair top kicker, still a good chance someone has a J especially with 5 callers. If someone has a J then let them bet dont bet for them.

2. Not much you can do.

3. Similar to 1 except now you have a flush draw on the turn, bet is fine you have 14 outs but you could be beat by JT or 65.

4. Raise the flop you have TPTK. If he 3bets which he should then you can call.

Luv2DriveTT
09-04-2004, 10:20 AM
1) Fold A8s from UTG. It sucks to play this hand first before a field of 6 players. Since you played it check the flop, you missed the opportunity to learn about your opponent's holdings.. you need to know more info before you start to play middle pair with outside flush draw. If someone bets the flop against my check (unless it is the button of course) this is an auto-fold for me with such a small pot.

2) Again its not such a big pot, so be prepared to let it go to avoid payoing down someone with better position. I like your flop bet, and the turn bet. But you have a multi-way river, check it. Something doesn't smell right. Nobody stays in that long without holding cards. I was surprised to see that MP1 held KK... you couldn't tell.

3)Played correctly. Don't back down, you have the odds to play for the flush draw.

4)You have position, there is an Ace on the board. RAISE on the flop. You have no way of knowing your opponent's holdings here, there are no red flags. In fact there are no red flags the entire hand.... Villan obviously has no spine, its impossible to project that he has trips. Thats the breaks... you cannot win every hand but you can play every hand correctly!

In da club /images/graemlins/club.gif

JDErickson
09-04-2004, 01:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Fold A8s UTG preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

As Bison is fond of saying BOOOOOOO

A8s is perfectly ok to play UTG as long as the table is loose passive. Just be prepared to act carefullly on later streets without the flush draw.

Brian
09-04-2004, 01:40 PM
Hi Festus,

Those saying to fold A8s UTG are off their rockers. At most (90%) of the Party 1/2 games, you should play A2s and 22 UTG. A8s is a no-brainer. I think you got a little aggressive with it post-Flop, though. The Flop bet is good obviously, but once you get called in 3 places behind you, it's ok to check-fold the Turn. I am not sure which is worse, the Turn bet or calling the River. If this guy is call-call-calling the whole way, and is now randomly gonna bluff the River, more power to 'em. You're done with this hand.

Hand #2: This hand is played well. Even if they flipped their hands over, you couldn't fold with a gutshot and three Ten outs. They got a little passive on you, and after the hand, this may frustrate you. However, realize that they made a mistake by not raising the Turn. And whenever your opponents make a mistake, you gain. Do you see why you gained here?

Hand #3: This hand is played well. You're going to have to call a bet if you check the Flop, so betting is almost always better, especially with a moderately strong hand. It sucks to get raised on the Turn, but you picked up some outs. I hope you weren't planning to call a bet on the River this time, though. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Hand #4: The only questionable part about this hand is the River raise. Yes, you did improve, but this guy is betting into you after you raised pre-Flop and raised the Turn. Sometimes he's stubborn with A5 or A2, but I think it's fine to adhere to the maxim of "most River bets are strong hands or weak ones, so you're better off calling". You're lucky to have not been 3-bet on this River.

Good luck through the dry spell,

-Brian

Gomez22
09-04-2004, 06:15 PM
HAND 1 - After betting the flop, it's time to check-fold without improving on the turn or river, especially when the river puts a second overcard out there and you've been called in 3 places on the flop and 2 places on the turn. Shoulda check-folded the turn.

HAND 2 - I think the only thing I do differently here is cehck-call the river. The flop has a straight(though not probable) and the turn brings the flush... the river pairing isn't too bad, but once again, you're behind a PF raiser who doesn't look like he's going away and 2 players behind that call down....

HAND 3 - I really don't understand the flop bet. MPTK again.... you must really like this hand on a co-ordinated board. Check-call the flop, and base your turn action on action that develops. Based on MY personal experience only, MPTK with a backdoor flush draw really isn't a hand to get aggressive with against 4 other players from EP unless you have a VERY good image and control over opponents. I think hands like this should be played passively at least on the flop from EP.

HAND 4 - In a HU situation like you have on the flop here, I start raising TPTK asap. At least when he caps, you can think about the possibility that he has you beat, though it's not going to happen too often.

Overall, IMHO, I think you're playing marginal hands too aggressively from EP. Hand 2 was played well, and hand 4 was pretty good, too, though I'd raise here sooner. Hands 1 and 3 are just too LAGgish for a player of your caliber. Ease off on the marginal hands a little, I'd say.

Webster
09-04-2004, 07:11 PM
A8s is a 100% fold - 1/2 Party is ONLY 36% flops (at least 20,000 hands I have in PT are!)

MortalNuts
09-04-2004, 10:15 PM
Hi Festus --

I don't feel terribly strongly about most of these hands, but I'm surprised people are berating you for limping A8s UTG here. For a player with decent post-flop skills, the game does not have to be very loose at all for that hand to make a profit. It's not going to make you rich or anything, but take a look at the pokerroom EV stats ( EV stats for 1/2 (http://www.pokerroom.com/games/evstats/pairStats.php) ) -- 10-handed it's profitable from all but one position (which, weirdly, is not UTG). And that's for players who, by and large, suck. Your results should be significantly better than this sucky-player-inclusive average. I haven't played the Pokerroom 1/2 game and so can't describe the game conditions to you, but I have a hard time believing it could be so vastly better than the Party 1/2 game that the results will change all that much. (Seriously, most pots would need to be contested heads-up or 3-way, and my opponents would have to be at least mildly clue-full postflop, for me to consider folding this hand.)

That said, I think you are overplaying the hand a bit postflop. Betting the flop in hand 1 is okay imho, but I'm check-folding this turn with that many callers, that board, and no improvement. The other hands I don't have any real problems with, though.

just my 2c.

cheers,
mn

Trix
09-05-2004, 09:53 AM
Not sure if I had bet the flop in hand one. It seems close.
I dont think you will induce a bluff very often on the river, so itīs better to bet or check-fold.

Normally I just call the river in hand 4. If he is really bad then I like the raise. Depends on the guy.

Edit: I play A8s UTG in 3/6 aswell and think itīs an easy call in 1/2 if you play well.

Brian
10-06-2004, 02:46 AM
NT!

bisonbison
10-06-2004, 02:51 AM
I'm glad someone bumped this.

Anyone folding A8s UTG is insane. Insane.

Honestly, guys, that's terrible.