PDA

View Full Version : Almost there

Eder
09-04-2004, 02:37 AM
i bin playing $5 SnG long time...so many bad beats...moron calls...incredible suck outs, but I promised my wife I would play screw around stakes till I was up 1k...well one more win I'm there lol...can anyone imagine how hard that is to make 1k at 5$ buy in...???long road and even with 60% ROI it took a long time ...hopefully tomorrow I hit the magic # and can move up...thanks 2+2 ...all the good advice will soon let me leave this HELL...i gon get drunk /images/graemlins/grin.gif

parappa
09-04-2004, 02:39 AM
Wow. That is a record that might stand for a while, Eder. Congratulations /images/graemlins/smile.gif

MissOt
09-04-2004, 04:51 AM
does your wife know about the $11 2 table splurges you play in every week?!?!?!!?

PrayingMantis
09-04-2004, 08:02 AM
Congrats!

I know exactly what you're talking about, because I've been there. It's a great feeling. I've built my whole on-line poker BR from a $15 bonus... /images/graemlins/grin.gif (Just needed to open an account to get it).

Anyway, I'm sure you had good reasons to stay at the $5's, but actually it really doesn't make much sense, IMO, to play $5's once you have gained enough to move up. Playing $5's when you have a few $100's as your BR (not to say close to $1000) is essentialy a waste of time. But it's surely a good learning expirience. And also an important training in discipline, especially against the huge amount of fish.

Great job!

hyde
09-04-2004, 09:51 AM
i bin playing $5 SnG long time...so many bad beats...moron calls...incredible suck outs,

congrats but.....
bad news, unless you plan on a big jump, the above will continue.......I play mostly 20 and 25 turbos and endure more beats than should be attributable to the laws of poker...
maybe I should stop playing any two spades just because they are pretty.......

hyde/jekyl

MeanGreenTT
09-04-2004, 10:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
....IMO, to play $5's once you have gained enough to move up. Playing $5's when you have a few $100's as your BR (not to say close to $1000) is essentialy a waste of time...

[/ QUOTE ]

What level do you recommend then, thanks /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Eder
09-04-2004, 11:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
does your wife know about the $11 2 table splurges you play in every week?!?!?!!?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well thats another reason it took me so long...feeding the piranahs at the 2+2 tourneys... /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Lori
09-04-2004, 11:09 AM
Stay focussed /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I know this is obvious, but it's easy to ease off the pedal when nearly at a target.
Get through that 1k barrier and get back to us.

I refuse to say congrats until you've done it /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Lori

Eder
09-04-2004, 11:30 AM
Anyway, I'm sure you had good reasons to stay at the $5's, but actually it really doesn't make much sense, IMO, to play $5's once you have gained enough to move up. Playing $5's when you have a few $100's as your BR (not to say close to $1000) is essentialy a waste of time. But it's surely a good learning expirience. And also an important training in discipline, especially against the huge amount of fish.

Great job!

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks all...It seriously was a promise to my wife to stay at $5 till the magic 1k mark,and making money is mostly a way of keeping score for me and secondary to enjoying a competitive game.
Anyway I'll move up next week and will be sad to watch my ROI drop some and promise not to post moronic quest threads like this one again haha.

PrayingMantis
09-04-2004, 01:23 PM
I believe that in the FAQ there are some suggestions regarding adequate BR for each level. But no matter how cautious you are, playing 5$ SNGs with a BR of much more than 50*buy-in, is definitely playing too small, IMO. One should at least try a few games in a higher level at that point, if not sooner. That's if you care at all about $/H, of course.

Only my opinion.

Lori
09-04-2004, 01:27 PM
I'm serious by the way.

Whenever setting a target, it's set for whatever reasons were correct at the time.

Unless something changes to adjust those reasons, you should not consider your next target until thinking with the clear head of having completed the initial one.

Upon completion, you can take a day off to celebrate and to contemplate other options.

Although this is a little petty in your case, it will stand you in good stead later on when targets and the suchlike will become trickier to achieve and more costly if you don't.

FINISH THIS ONE /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Lori

Eder
09-04-2004, 01:37 PM
soon as my hang over cleared up I'm on it haha

Lori
09-04-2004, 01:39 PM
/images/graemlins/laugh.gif good luck

Lori

Eder
09-15-2004, 04:21 PM
Well just a quick update if anyone cares.... I passed the 1k mark and moved on to the $10 SnG's...atm after 30 games my ROI = 81.7%!!! cant wait to go in the tank...I know its coming. Havent played that many as I have spent more time playing a few mtt's...2 final tables (but busted 9th & 8th) and fair # itm...including a seat at Sundays 250k guaranteed. Mtt's seem very fun compared to SnG's,but take a lot of time...still it's a nice change.

I dont really see a big diff in the $10's other than maybe 4 good players rather than 2 or 3...raises get a little more respect as well, but as usual bluffing is still normally -EV here, and reraising with pocket kings/aces still never kills the action haha...
My outlook is probably skewed though by my decent run,and I'm sure that after the inevitable bad run that's sure to appear the game will seem tougher. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif