PDA

View Full Version : Really stupid reraise on my part. (looking for confirmation)

GlemZurg
09-04-2004, 01:56 AM
Can someone confirm (or deny) that my play in red below should have been a call.

With all the checking, I had put people off Ax and figured that someone with a 3 would have bet on the turn.

I figured there was a good chance I had the board with the highest kicker or could steal the pot so I bet.

I'm too embarrassed (now of course) to even write the messed up thought process leading me to reraise with nothing. So I'll leave that out.

Thanks,
Justin

Paradise Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $0.10 BB (7 handed)

GlemZurg ($21.45)
BB ($8.70)
UTG ($9.50)
MP1 ($4.34)
MP2 ($9.45)
CO ($11.60)
Button ($9.50)

Preflop: GlemZurg is SB with K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif. GlemZurg posts a blind of $0.05.
UTG calls $0.10, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls $0.10, CO calls $0.10, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, GlemZurg (poster) completes, BB checks

Flop: ($0.50) A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
GlemZurg checks, BB checks, UTG checks, MP2 checks, CO checks.

Turn: ($0.50) 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
GlemZurg checks, BB checks, UTG checks, MP2 checks, CO checks.

River: ($0.50) 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">GlemZurg bets $0.6</font>, BB folds, <font color="CC3333">UTG raises to $2</font>, MP2 folds, CO folds, <font color="red">GlemZurg raises to $3.8</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG raises to $9.4</font>, GlemZurg calls $5.60.

UTG had A/images/graemlins/heart.gif A/images/graemlins/club.gif.

Final Pot: $19.30

AncientPC
09-04-2004, 02:08 AM
1) I don't like it when people show results in HH. I really do think it influences my judgement sometimes.

2) Unless you read UTG as a complete LAG I would've folded this his $2 raise. No you should not have reraised him as the only thing you can beat is another bluffer. Not only that, you even called his $9.4 raise.

Just say you were playing on tilt . . .

SlyAK
09-04-2004, 02:12 AM
The play in red should have been a FOLD!!

The board has two pairs on it. You are beaten by anyone with an ace, a 3, an 8, or a pocket pair 4's or higher. There are 5 people in the pot, and someone almost certainly has you beaten.

Betting the river in this situation is close to insane, well actually it is insane. No one will call you with a hand you beat and at these stakes no one is going to fold any decent hand to your bet. You have 10 cents invested in the pot. Just wait for a better spot.

Sly

PS. I know you are a newbie, didnt mean to sound harsh, but betting/raising this river is like burning money.

fimbulwinter
09-04-2004, 02:52 AM
i think there actually is something to be learned here:
your hand is the nut no pair (K high), this means you can beat all bluffs, but nothing else. your best line on the end is to check/call a very small bet because letting someone bluff at you is profitable, as you can beat it, but any legit hand creams you (skalansky discusses this in the heads up on the end section of ToP). betting will only get you called by hands that beat you so the bet is at best 0 EV and most often -EV, and you can beat all bluff hands, so snapping off a weak JT play at this pot is +EV. obviously you're folding to a re-raise here.

BTW, yeah the play is bad, but the guy who flopped quads played them perfectly given the action and board. he got the max on a hand that doesn't often get paid off much, look at his patient play and emulate it when you hit a monster.

GlemZurg
09-04-2004, 03:04 AM
Thanks for the responses everyone. (Harsh ones appreciated as well) /images/graemlins/smile.gif
Justin

SlyAK
09-04-2004, 03:11 AM
True this is the nut non-pair. I might think about check-calling a small river bet with 1 or 2 opponents, but not with 4 others in the pot.

Yes the AA guy played the hand well, and surely wouldnt have made any money if he'd bet it right out on the flop....

Sly