PDA

View Full Version : yet another "Thank you SSHE" thread

o0mr_bill0o
09-04-2004, 12:03 AM
I used to fold QTo regularly in any position except sometimes the SB in a multiway hand. Now I take down 2 25+BB hands with it from lp. woo!

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is Button with T/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 calls, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO calls, Hero calls, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (5 SB) 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG+2 checks, <font color="CC3333">CO bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, BB folds, UTG+2 calls, <font color="CC3333">CO 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero caps</font>, SB calls, UTG+2 calls, CO calls.

Turn: (10.50 BB) 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG+2 checks, <font color="CC3333">CO bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB folds, UTG+2 folds, <font color="CC3333">CO 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero caps</font>, CO calls.

River: (18.50 BB) 2/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">CO bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">CO 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero caps</font>, CO calls.

Final Pot: 26.50 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 26.50 BB, between CO and Hero.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by Hero (26.50 BB).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
CO shows 9c Kh (two pair, kings and nines).
Hero shows Th Qd (straight, king high).
Outcome: Hero wins 26.50 BB. </font>

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is CO with Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, T/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, Hero calls, <font color="CC3333">Button raises</font>, SB calls, BB folds, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, MP2 calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (15 SB) J/images/graemlins/club.gif, 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(7 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, UTG calls, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, UTG+2 calls, MP2 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Button caps</font>, SB folds, UTG folds, UTG+1 calls $1 (All-In), UTG+2 calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (16.50 BB) 3/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(4 players, 1 all-in)</font>
UTG+2 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Button raises</font>, UTG+2 calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Button caps</font>, UTG+2 calls, Hero calls.

River: (28.50 BB) 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(4 players, 1 all-in)</font>
UTG+2 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls, UTG+2 folds.

Final Pot: 30.50 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 16.50 BB, between Hero, Button and UTG+1.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by Hero (16.50 BB).</font>
<font color="green">Pot 2: 14 BB, between Hero and Button.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by Hero (14 BB).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
UTG+1 shows Tc 7c (straight, jack high).
Hero shows Qd Ts (straight, queen high).
Button shows Jh Js (three of a kind, jacks).
Outcome: Hero wins 30.50 BB. </font>

don't think i could have gotten too much more out of either of these. Just got quite lucky the villain in the first one thought 2 pair would be good with that kind of action, and even luckier to be up against a set and a worse straight in the second one (and lucky enough the set didn't boat up).

chio
09-04-2004, 12:18 AM
i don't know if these hands are a good example, but calling preflop seems marginal at best

you won 2 huge pots because you flopped the nut straight twice while your opponents flopped monster 2nd best hands, and the flush and boat didn't get there in either - 2 perfect situations not bound to happen often.

not that i don't love SSH

o0mr_bill0o
09-04-2004, 12:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i don't know if these hands are a good example, but calling preflop seems marginal at best

you won 2 huge pots because you flopped the nut straight twice while your opponents flopped monster 2nd best hands, and the flush and boat didn't get there in either - 2 perfect situations not bound to happen often.

not that i don't love SSH

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, no kidding, but it was these marginal preflop calls that i was NEVER making before I read the book. I don't care if everyone at the table limped to me on the button, i never called QTo, and rarely QTs. Yeah, I flopped a monster, with plenty of action, that's lucky as hell. But as they say, luck is simply the intersection of preparation and opportunity, and thanks to SSHE I was prepared and made myself open for the opportunity.

InchoateHand
09-04-2004, 12:34 AM
Again, not to rain on parades...but I think esp. in the first situation, QTo may be -EV. With just two limpers to you on the button, my weak/tight self would still ditch QTo.
QTs? Auto-raise.

AncientPC
09-04-2004, 04:03 AM
QTs and QTo are respectively -0.14 and -.06 BB/100 over 300 times of getting them, but they're one of my favorite hands to play for some odd reason . . .

helpmeout
09-04-2004, 05:27 AM
You can limp in late position with no gap connectors because they give you a decent shot at an OESD.

A 1 gapper though drops the odds by about 4% to about 7% adding that to hitting trips or 2 pair give you about a 10% chance of a good flop. (I'm not playing QT hoping for 1 pair on the flop) Thats just not good enough for me I dont know what the odds of hitting 1 pair and a gutshot are, which is sometimes a marginal call but QTo is probably a bit too tough for most players.

3rdEye
09-04-2004, 06:34 AM
Why wouldn't you play QTo from the button in an unraised pot before reading Ed Miller's book?