PDA

View Full Version : The newest trend I've been seeing and I don't understand it

Gomez22
09-03-2004, 06:16 PM
PokerStars 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Gomez22 is UTG+1 with A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">Gomez22 3-bets</font>, UTG+2 folds, <font color="CC3333">MP1 caps</font>, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds, UTG calls, Gomez22 calls.

Flop: (17.50 SB) 3/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Gomez22 raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP1 3-bets</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="CC3333">UTG caps</font>, Gomez22 calls, MP1 calls, MP3 calls.

Turn: (15.75 BB) A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">Gomez22 bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, MP3 calls, UTG folds, <font color="CC3333">Gomez22 3-bets</font>, MP1 calls, MP3 calls.

River: (24.75 BB) 9/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Gomez22 bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="CC3333">Gomez22 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP1 caps</font>, MP3 calls, Gomez22 calls.

Final Pot: 36.75 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 36.75 BB, between MP3, Gomez22 and MP1.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by Gomez22 (36.75 BB).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Gomez22 shows As Ah (full house, aces full of nines).
MP1 shows 3d 3s (full house, threes full of nines).
MP3 shows Ac Js (two pair, aces and nines).
Outcome: Gomez22 wins 36.75 BB. </font>

OK - I put the results in here because I really don't understand WHY anyone would cap PF from MP with such a small PP, thereby easily cutting off the rest of the field and playing the pot SH, although that really wasn't the case here.

Can anyone understand the logic in this? Or the logic to MP3's play for that matter? I'm not complaining, I just can't bring myself to understand any of this or the thinking that goes along with it.

SomethingClever
09-03-2004, 06:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm not complaining, I just can't bring myself to understand any of this or the thinking that goes along with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure there's an eloquent quote by some philosopher about simply appreciating beauty and not trying to understand it.

Go with that.

scotnt73
09-03-2004, 06:40 PM
i havent read it but didnt someone say hellmuths book says something about doing this?

Ed Miller
09-03-2004, 06:51 PM
On TV I think people raise a lot when they get a pocket pair. Sounds like a good strategy to me.

SomethingClever
09-03-2004, 07:16 PM
Ed, you just hit quad fives on your post count.

I'd raise all-in before posting again.

helpmeout
09-03-2004, 07:31 PM
Sometimes you find people who go crazy with any suited Ace or low pocket pairs. They are obviously unaware of the odds.

Just have to make a mental note that they have low raising standards.

Nottom
09-03-2004, 08:15 PM
My favorite part about this hand is that he just calls your 3-bet on the turn but then caps the river when he "improves" to a full-house.

Don't try to understand ... people are dumb.

detruncate
09-03-2004, 08:17 PM
I can see how someone would think it makes sense. The raiser probably has big cards rather than a pair. Therefore, they're unlikely to have hit the flop when it's made up of low cards, and so any bet is probably a semi-bluff. PP guy plays back at them, and bets into them again on the turn if they slow down and/or it's another safe looking card. Likewise, if a potentially scary card/board comes down, they represent it.

Basically, they sow the seeds of doubt in the raiser's mind. What did they hit? Could they have been slowplaying a big pair pf? Can I really pay to see the river with just overcards? So, PP guy ends up taking down a reasonably big pot every once in a while when raiser whiffs and check/folds the turn. Probably isn't a +EV play, but I bet they win often enough to encourage them to keep doing it... especially when you add in the times the hit a set or chase out a KQ on an AQx flop by representing an ace. You know how it is... perception=reality.

radek2166
09-03-2004, 08:21 PM
Yes hell uth's book says to 3bet it. To see where you are at. He gives an example of the flop missing and he wins the pot.

illunious
09-03-2004, 09:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yes hell uth's book says to 3bet it. To see where you are at. He gives an example of the flop missing and he wins the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't remember this ever being advised in the limit section, but it's been a while since I read it.

Jimbobobb
09-03-2004, 09:40 PM
There's literally a section about "the reraising approach to small pocket pairs" - worst_advice_ever. I didn't believe it either, so I looked it up in a roommate's copy. Look in the appendix.