PDA

View Full Version : Melo vents about Athens

ThaSaltCracka
09-03-2004, 04:39 PM
Anthony felt depressed and alone in Athens
Associated Press
Posted: 39 minutes ago

Carmelo Anthony spent many nights at the Olympics in his hotel room depressed and wanting to go home.

The Denver Nuggets star was demoted to the bench during the Athens Games, in which the NBA players lost three times and finished with the bronze medal.

"I would play my (video) games, and hope and pray that it would be over with," he said in Friday's editions of The Denver Post. "I was in my little funk. I didn't want to be involved with nobody."

The former Syracuse star said things started going wrong for him in the first game, a 92-73 loss to Puerto Rico.

"People were looking at me like I was selfish and I was only thinking about myself," he said.

He said getting benched was a shock after being a high school All-American, an NCAA champion with Syracuse as a freshman and a rookie standout with the Nuggets.

"That would affect anybody," Anthony told the newspaper. "I'm not saying I'm the greatest player in the world, but I've never sat on nobody's bench."

He said he respects coach Larry Brown, whose Detroit Pistons won the NBA title this year, but thinks the U.S. team would have done better if it played looser.

"He still makes mistakes," Anthony said. "We weren't the Detroit Pistons. We didn't have 90 games to play together. We had two weeks."

Still, Anthony said he would like to play in the 2008 Olympics.

"I got unfinished business to take care of," he said.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He said getting benched was a shock after being a high school All-American, an NCAA champion with Syracuse as a freshman and a rookie standout with the Nuggets.
[He said getting benched was a shock after being a high school All-American, an NCAA champion with Syracuse as a freshman and a rookie standout with the Nuggets.

"That would affect anybody," Anthony told the newspaper. "I'm not saying I'm the greatest player in the world, but I've never sat on nobody's bench."

I highlighted this because I think this shows exactly what was wrong with this team. There was to much ME mentality, and not enough team mentality.

Dominic
09-03-2004, 05:22 PM
"I got unfinished business to take care of," he said.

the only unfinished business this whiner needs to get done is completeling his college degree, since by the sound of it, he has no idea how to speak proper English.

ThaSaltCracka
09-03-2004, 05:32 PM
got?

I am just feed up with some of these players, however I would have to say Iverson was a pro about the whole situation.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Iverson rips NBA's Olympic no-shows
FOXSports.com
Posted: 5 days ago

Allen Iverson was one of the few top-tier NBA stars willing to play for the United States in the Olympics, and after Team USA was bounced in the semifinals Friday, the 76ers star had some harsh words for the NBA players who turned down the opportunity to represent their country.

"Any person that's selected to a team like this, it shouldn't be a question in your mind," Iverson told the Washington Post. "It shouldn't even be something to think about. You're honored to get a chance to represent your country, and what's better than that?"
Iverson wasn't invited to participate in the 2000 Olympics but was on the team that participated in a qualifying tournament last summer just for the right to reach the Olympics. And, while he didn't name names, questioned the players that would accept NBA riches yet refuse to represent their country.

"Anybody that grew up in the U.S. and is able to be a basketball player in the NBA, you understand what that country has done for you and your family," Iverson said. "It gave you an opportunity to support your family and be recognized as a household name. I mean, it's just an honor to be able to do something like that, and I would advise anybody that's selected to a team like this to take that honor and cherish it."

Shaquille O'Neal, Tracy McGrady, Kobe Bryant, Karl Malone, Jason Kidd, Ray Allen and Mike Bibby are among the NBA stars who turned down a chance to play in the Olympics.

Before Friday's 89-81 semifinal loss to Argentina, NBA commissioner David Stern begged reporters to stop talking about which players didn't come to Athens.

"We have a great, great team here," Stern said. "I shouldn't say that. We have 12 great basketball players."