PDA

View Full Version : For Sklansky

09-23-2001, 02:38 PM
I have a question concerning the play of pocket 10's in the big blind. I recently held 10's (one of them in spades)in the big blind, and 3 people limped in before the tough player on the button raised. The small blind folded, and I attempted to isolate him by making it 3 bets. I got 1 caller between us, so we say the flop 3 way (both players were tight-aggressive, and they both saw me as a tight-aggressive player at the time). The flop came 742 with 2 spades. I lead out, and they both call. The turn was the 3 of spades. I lead out again, the middle position player raised and the button folds, leaving me heads up. I check in the dark for the river, a Jack (not a spade) comes, and he bets, and I fold.

My first question is: 1) Should I have given up on the turn after the middle position player raised me with 3 spades on the board and me only holding the 10 of spades?

My second question is: 2) If I called the turn, should I have bet the river and planned to fold to a raise, instead of check-folding?

09-23-2001, 06:05 PM
Give up?? I don't know what limit you normally play, but you are going to get murdered in medium to high games if you get into the habit of regularly dumping your overpairs in the face of a little fear. Maybe you're beat, but you gotta pay him off on the river, and to even consider a fold on the turn will leave you as a target for aggression til the end of time.

JG