PDA

View Full Version : BB re-steal....

gcDanno
09-03-2004, 04:03 PM
Stars $20 no rebuy tourney. I'm in the BB with 5460 chips. SB has 2685. Tourney avg is 3300. Blinds 75/150. 1st hand of 2nd hour. I'm about 28th of 110 that are left.

It is folded to the SB who bets 3x the BB. SB has been playing pretty tight. He bet 3x the BB the last time he was SB, but I folded. He could be a thief?

I have A /images/graemlins/club.gif T /images/graemlins/spade.gif. What is my play? Fold? Call? Push? All-in?

Results later, but not important

gc

ThingDo
09-03-2004, 04:10 PM
I would re-raise here to about 1200. If he calls proceed w/ caution, if he pushes fold. I don't like just calling in this spot because if the SB is aggro he'll more than likely bet any flop and you won't know where you are in the hand. I also don't thinking folding is an option, re-raising here should send him a clear msg that you don't take blind steals lightly.

ThingDo
09-03-2004, 04:13 PM
I didn't realise he only had T2500, I push here, sorry thought he had much more for some reason. If you raise you are commited and will call any reraise that he might make so push and gain some folding equity while at the same time "sending a msg"

gergery
09-03-2004, 04:18 PM
I’d call this. You have a decent hand, have position, and don’t want him stealing in the future since its early. But you’re hand is not a favorite vs. many hands a tight player could be stealing so I don’t reraise him, tho.

Note: If you did decide to raise here, I’d go allin rather than just raise, since a real reraise would be to 1200 or so, and then if he pushes, you are kind of pot committed risking 1400 to win the 3800 in the pot, so since you must call a reraise with a hand that doesn’t want to I’d go for maximum folding equity and push to begin with.

--Greg

gcDanno
09-03-2004, 04:49 PM
OK. Let's reverse this. You are the SB. It is folded to you with the exact same scenario as before. You have A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif Q /images/graemlins/spade.gif

What do you bet? Do you call a push by the BB?

Cleveland Guy
09-03-2004, 04:55 PM
about 2.5 to 3x BB and yes

Somehow I think this is what happened to you huh?

gergery
09-03-2004, 05:09 PM
I bet my standard bet (3xBB), and I call a push by BB

Roman
09-03-2004, 06:03 PM
I push.

TheDrone
09-03-2004, 07:16 PM
I bet 400, and without a good read on the BB I fold to a push. I'm not willing to put my tournament on the line with AQ when I could be dominated by AK or on the weak side of a coinflip against a pocket pair. If I was desperate enough in chips to do that, at this level I would just push in the first place.

durron597
09-03-2004, 08:04 PM
If the SB has been playing pretty tight, then you have to give his raise a modicum of respect. In other words, I wouldn't want to risk half my stack on the chance that this "tight player" is trying to steal my blind. Thus, I would probably call and try to outplay the player with my bigger stack and my better position.

Ok, just read your other post in the thread, I would raise my standard raise, but whether I call a push or not is very player dependant, but against a complete unknown I probably fold. If the big stack has been trying to wield his stack like a meat club, I probably call.

BobboFitos
09-03-2004, 11:09 PM
Remember: alone, each of us is just another conservative on
a
college campus; together, we're unstoppable.

I'll see you all on Thursday.

It's 300 for you to call. Why risk 2685 (his stack) for 450 + your blind ? I would just take a flop.

ATo is PROBABLY better than his holdings, no matter how tight he's playing, but the risk/reward isn't there to push. If he does in fact call, ATo isn't looking so pretty.

If I flop anything with ATo I'm going to play it strong, and even if I dont flop anything, I want to put heat on him. (If he follows his preflop bet with a weak one, and A and T are overcards, I'd push in... If he checks, I'd stab at it... Etc)

gcDanno
09-03-2004, 11:55 PM
I was actually the SB in the hand with the AQ. The BB pushed. He had pushed a few times before, so I figured I was against a re-steal and would have the advantage. Yes, I called his all in. He flopped a ten, and I was out. Not really a terrible beat, and I wasn't looking for the bad beat police to administer a spanking.

I was just looking for an honest discussion of the hand in question. I really don't disagree with either of our plays. He had tremendous folding equity. I almost hit fold. I don't feel bad about calling his bet either. Sucks I lost, but thats just poker.

Thanks for the responses... I've been having a tuff time lately, and was second guessing my play.

gc