PDA

View Full Version : QQ question

Boris
09-03-2004, 03:57 PM
Stars $109 PL tourny. I have $3,000. Blinds are $75-$150.

I am in the small blind with QQ

UTG opens for $450. Late position player calls. UTG appears to be a solid player from what I can tell. I have both players covered by $1,000

Do you re-raise the max with QQ in the small blind? Or do you call and see the flop?

Xargque
09-03-2004, 04:50 PM
Personally, I shove all-in or fold. If the flop comes with an overcard, you're done. If it comes ragged and you get bet into, you're probably done. If I have a lot of respect for UTG, I fold. If I think he'd pull this with less that AA/KK/AK/QQ, I shove. Early in the tourney I'm more likely to fold, but if I'm on the bubble I almost always shove here.

Still a novice though, so just my .02

-X

fnord_too
09-03-2004, 05:09 PM
Its pot limit, he cant shove, he can only bet 1950 I think.

Since you have them both covered by 1k, you can pretty much put them to the test right here with a maximum reraise. I think that's what I do, make them play for all their chips if they want to play.

Roman
09-03-2004, 05:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I shove all-in or fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

stacks are pretty deep so I cant really agree there.

If it comes ragged and you get bet into, you're probably done.

You are in SB so cant really get bet into, and no way im done here if the flop comes rags.

That said, I think I do make a pretty good sized re-raise because I dont want to play out of position vs 2 opponents.

Roman
09-03-2004, 05:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I shove all-in or fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

stacks are pretty deep so I cant really agree there.

[ QUOTE ]
If it comes ragged and you get bet into, you're probably done.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are in SB so cant really get bet into, and no way im done here if the flop comes rags.

That said, I think I do make a pretty good sized re-raise because I dont want to play out of position vs 2 opponents.

mullaney
09-03-2004, 06:11 PM
I like the idea of calling here (pot will be about 1400). If you like the flop, bet around 1/2 of the biggest of the two stacks. If one pushes, you will have to use your judgement about what to do. If UTG pushes and LP calls, you may be able to get away from the hand. It risks a much smaller % of your stack, compared to theirs.

Just an idea.

SossMan
09-03-2004, 08:49 PM
I like calling and check raising if you flop an overpair. If I really do think UTG is solid, I may check fold the flop if an A or K comes depending on the amount of his bet.

Of course, max raising couldn't be horrible here as it is unlikely that you are behind.

I think its close enough that it won't make a huge difference in your long term results so long as you play the flop correctly.

betgo
09-04-2004, 02:21 PM
I would pot it, essentially committing to go allin. All you are worried about is AA or KK. There is a good chance UTG would have limped with one of those hands, and the late position player would have almost certainly raised with a big pair.

Folding is a terrible weak tight play. I would call here with two deuces, due to the implied odds for flopping a set.