PDA

View Full Version : Need more books to read- suggestions please.

09-21-2001, 05:28 AM
I'm looking for a few more books to expand my overall poker knowledge. I play both 5-10 Stud and 4-8 Hold'em with the intent of moving up to the 10-20 limits in both games in a few months after some more studying and playing experience. What suggestions can you offer?

These are the books already in my library, all of which have been read at least once.

7 Card Stud: 42 Lessons..... by West

Seven Card Stud for Advanced Players by Sklansky, Malmuth, and Zee

Hold'em Poker by Sklansky

Hold'em Poker for Advanced Players by Sklansky and Malmuth

Theory of Poker by Sklansky

Caro's Book of Tells by Caro

Psychology of Poker by Schoonmaker

Poker Essays by Malmuth

Poker Essays Volume II by Malmuth

Poker Essays Volume III by Malmuth

Gambling Theory and Other Topics by Malmuth

What about Super/System? Is the Stud and Hold'em information in that book reliable so many years later? Or are the Advanced player books by 2+2 better because they're more recent?

To Malmuth and Sklansky: I may not have ever played against you but you certainly have gotten a nice piece of my winnings.

Thanks.

09-21-2001, 05:32 AM
Some books which I think are very good which you didn't mention aare Cooke's Real Poker, Feeney's Poker Mind, and Caro's Fundamental Secrets.

09-21-2001, 08:44 AM
Dynasty,

The book below is well written and a must if you want to learn to play either game.

paul

High-Low Split Poker, Seven Card Stud and Omaha Eight or Better for Advanced Players by Ray Zee

09-21-2001, 06:14 PM
Super System is useless if you are playing only limit hold'em. The limit stud section is good but doesn't add much to the 2+2 stud book if you already have it.

The valuable stuff is Super System is all found in the last section on no limit hold'em. And the value is not necessarily in learning how to play no limit hold'em as much as learning how to recognize no limit players who have read Super/System and taken it too much to heart.

natedogg

09-21-2001, 10:53 PM
For seven stud you should consider "Seven Card Stud Poker" by Konstantin Othmer. Also, every book Bob Ciaffone has written is a bargain. He is working on a limit holdem book that is due out by the end of the year and I'm sure it will be great.

Ken Gordon

Kodiak, Alaska

09-22-2001, 01:05 AM
I think you might like Improve Your Poker by Ciaffone. He has some stuff on moving up in limits I think will help when you move up. He also has some good stuff on how to find a style that works for you. Get Feeney's book soon. It is well worth another chunk of your winnings going to 2+2. :-)

09-22-2001, 09:34 AM
you need to get feeneys book on holdem. I used to be a stud player and have recently been playing holdem. I find that learning about holdem has helped my stud game as well. It seems that everyone who posts lately about books ends up with many recomendations for feeney's book.

Must make you feel good John, right?

Pat

09-22-2001, 09:36 AM
Ciaffones book is a good one. But i will say that i find some of his advice on limit holdem too tight. But better tight than loose. The section on bluffing and betting when you miss the flop against a certain number of opponents is great reading.

Othmers book is also good for an intermediate player who already knows the basic strategies for stud.

Pat

09-22-2001, 02:06 PM
To Dynasty: I think the first book for you to read, and reread and reread - lol, is Championship Hold EM by T.J. Cloutier and Tom McEvoy, for this reason. They give you a very complete game with a very powerful defense that you can take with you as you move up to 10/20 that will make it hard for the middle hold em regulars to take advantage of your newness to the new limit.

And alongside that book one must have Malmuth and Sklansky's hold-em poker for advanced players. And then one has to use all of the other greats like feeny, Caro, AND super system's chapters by Brunson and Baldwin.

Any serious poker player must memorize and understand all of these books from cover to cover. A great chess player or bridge player would not play the game without knowing all of the plays of all of the great players.

As a player is moving up in games there will be times when they will be the best at the table and other times when they will feel lost. The good thing about Cloutiers and McEvoy's game is that because they are big tournament players their games are very tight (they aren't tight - lol - their games are tight), so you should be able to at least survive when you are in over your head.

I guess I like it because I am always in over my head - lol.

09-22-2001, 09:23 PM
Go to www.gamblersbook.com (http://www.gamblersbook.com). This company has the most complete list of books on poker I've ever seen. There are books on many other subjects related to gambling also. I recommend you read the great classic "The Education of A Poker Player" by Herbert O. Yardly. Although this book was published in 1957 and makes no mention of Texas Hold'em, the stories are really great and the info is just valid today as then.

09-23-2001, 02:25 AM

09-23-2001, 12:04 PM
The essay "Bad Plays Good Players Make" alone has paid for the book and my time many times over; not only because it plugged a leak or two of mine, it also motivated me to work at the table to try and identify errors individual opponents were habitually making.

zooey

09-23-2001, 03:09 PM
Dynasty:

In the future plese put this type of post on our Books/Software Forum.

Thanks,

Mason

09-24-2001, 02:06 AM
I think you're missing the best poker book of all, Shut Up and Deal by Jesse May.

09-26-2001, 03:59 PM
For you especially, Dynasty, if you plan on moving up in limits - Feeney's book has 2 or 3 essays, I forget the exact titles, on "Moving Up in Limits." They were among the best parts of the book for me.

John, you can pay me later.

Dick