PDA

View Full Version : JJ, below-average stack, late in Party 30+3 NLHE MTT

boulder56
09-03-2004, 12:16 PM
The following hand led to my demise in last night's Party 30+3 NLHE MTT. Did I misplay it?

13 players of about 1400 left. Decent money is in top 5-6 spots; not much difference among 7-13. Mean stack is around 100K, with a few rather short stacks (30k), and several stacks near 200K. Since dropping to two tables, there have been few flops, unless a hand has committed a short stack. Blinds were 4k-8k I believe. Most open raises of 16-20k have been picking up the blinds uncontested.

I have about 85k. Folded to me in MP with Jd Jh. SB and I are equal in chips. I have the BB easily covered. I chose to raise to 25k, rather than push. I felt this was my best chance to double-up and have a decent chance at the money, if someone wanted to play, yet get away from the hand if I'm called and overcards flop, or I'm reraised all-in preflop.

SB thought for a long time and called. BB folded. Flop was 7d, 5d, 2c. SB bets 30k (half of our remaining stacks). I push, SB calls with KQo. River provides a Q and I'm done.

Much too passive with JJ at this point in tourney or did I get the action I wanted and just got unlucky?

Thx.

davidross
09-03-2004, 12:35 PM
1) you got what you wanted, all-in as a huge favorite, almost 3 to 1 I think.

2) I bet half of the last 19 people eliminated from a MTT will go out with TT, JJ, QQ or AK. Unless they are shortstacked, that's all anyone is playing at that stage, and most of them will lose eventually.

3) I would have pushed pre-flop. I'm not folding to a re-raise at this stage, and I don't want to have to deal with an overcard on the flop, you don't have enough chips for that.