PDA

View Full Version : The zone - the conductor

09-21-2001, 01:06 AM
How does one quantify or even explain the zone. Many know what I mean: You sometimes reach a point where you are playing the whole board just like a conductor coordinating a symphony. You are playing unconsciously, intuitively and you make few mistakes, your reads are easy, you beat 6's with 7's and the money just keeps piling up.

This play is not like a rush, but more like the feeling I get when I am playing short handed real fast.

09-21-2001, 12:37 PM
When you are very confident and relaxed, and your focus is exclusively external , you will be in the zone. The zone means having a total absence of inner dialogue, inner imaging, and inner feeling while you are playing. Your attention is totally on the relevant things that are going on in your environment, outside your head not inside your head. You are able to do so because you have total and absolute trust in your intuition. You react to every stimulus in your environment so much so that you are also able to mold it.

09-21-2001, 03:33 PM
Very articulate shaman. I never know when I am going to enter the zone. In some games there never seems to be a rhythum I can get into, while in other games you just get a lock on the players and through a combination of fear and intuitive playing the players end up almost obeying your moves.

I like these moments even better than rushes, because those are just getting good cards. There have been many times when I am in the zone and catching no cards, but winning anyway just because I have the table wired and my bluffs are very successful.

09-21-2001, 03:43 PM
Hard to describe the feeling. It's knowing what your opponents are going to do - like being able to see into the future. I agree the feeling is better than the winning.

Buzz