PDA

View Full Version : Wussing out with middle set

Guy McSucker
09-03-2004, 09:09 AM
Am I too weak here?

Party 5/10 6-max, 88 in CO.

Folded to me, I raise, button coldcalls, SB and BB call.

Flop: A 8 2, two clubs.

SB bets, BB folds, I raise, button coldcalls, SB 3-bets, I cap, button calls.

Turn: 6 clubs. SB bets, I call, button calls.

River: A. SB bets, I call, button mucks.

On the turn I feared the flush given the flop action. I was surprised button didn't raise. On the river I feared aces full given the flop action and the fact nobody seemed to have a flush...

What would you have done?

Guy.

stripsqueez
09-03-2004, 09:18 AM
i think wuss is right - i go to bed at night and dream of hitting my small pairs on a A high flop

i would raise the turn and probably call (ie not cap) a 3 bet - in addition to the strong possibility the other guys are overplaying an A its 3 way and i likely have a bunch of outs so i'm not making a huge mistake if i'm behind

stripsqueez - chickenhawk

Michael Davis
09-03-2004, 09:21 AM
I would raise the turn and failing that raise the river. You know this and probably don't need to ask.

-Michael

Guy McSucker
09-03-2004, 11:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]

You know this and probably don't need to ask.

[/ QUOTE ]

Strangely, at the time I played the hand, I didn't know it... and when I posted I didn't either. But shortly afterwards I realized how bad my play was. Thanks for confirming!

A little face-slapping on the forum always helps regardless of whether I've worked it out for myself in the mean time anyway.

Oh yeah, results: opponent showed 22 for bottom set. I missed out on a lot of value here.

Thanks again for replying, both of you. Much appreciated as always.

Guy.

Marlow
09-03-2004, 02:56 PM
Set-over-set! A dream hand. No face slapping that happens here could compare to what you must have put yourself through. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Marlow /images/graemlins/spade.gif /images/graemlins/diamond.gif /images/graemlins/club.gif /images/graemlins/heart.gif

naphand
09-03-2004, 04:19 PM
Strip is right on the ball here.

I have also run some SIMS for the different sets and the most profitable, by some distance, were the middle sets like this. Why? Because you get paid off by big pairs and TPTK, top 2-pair hands. If you flop a set of A there are not many left for others to play against you with, ditto for the others.

Nothing better for a smaller set than to see a A high flop.