PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Marine personally executes Iraqi man

Cyrus
09-03-2004, 06:35 AM
Then he walks...

"CAMP PENDLETON, Calif. — A Marine reservist was found guilty Thursday of dereliction of duty and the abuse of prisoners last year at a makeshift detention camp in Iraq.

Pittman, 40, a federal prison guard in New York in his civilian life, was acquitted of the most serious charge, of karate-kicking 52-year-old Nagem Hatab in the chest shortly before the Iraqi was found dead in a dusty yard at the facility known as Camp Whitehorse.

An autopsy found Hatab had six broken ribs, as well as several deep bruises, and apparently died from suffocation caused by a broken bone in his throat.

Three witnesses testified they saw Pittman punch, knee and kick prisoners, including a local Muslim cleric, as well as Hatab and other unnamed prisoners.

"In the ... prison labeled 'terror dome', there are no angels as witnesses," prosecutor, Maj. Leon Francis said. "When it came to Mr. Hatab and the prisoners that were abused there, it was hell on Earth."

Pfc. William Roy, the prosecution's star witness and a direct subordinate of Pittman, accepted a demotion as part of a plea deal. He testified that he and Pittman were angry at Hatab because they believed "he sold a rifle" taken during the ambush of a U.S. Army convoy that killed 11 soldiers and led to the capture of Pfc. Jessica Lynch and others.

The prosecution said Roy's account of how the fierce beating that he said he and Pittman gave Hatab was full of detail that made it believable. According to Roy, Hatab said in English "Why? Why? Why? No. No. My children. My children."

A general court-martial is scheduled to begin later this month for Maj. Clarke Paulus, who allegedly ordered Hatab dragged. Whitehorse base commander Maj. Michael Froeder faces charges of negligence and abuse of prisoners".

FoxNews Report (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,131332,00.html)

GWB
09-03-2004, 07:30 AM
Wasn't John Kerry accused on shooting an unarmed Vietnamese civilian in the back?

Personally, I don't think accusations should be thrown around without a good basis of fact. It happens against me all the time.

Certainly the fine military service personnel around the world should not be besmirched by the actions of one guy.

Duke
09-03-2004, 07:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
besmirched

[/ QUOTE ]

It makes me smile every time you use a word that the real GWB wouldn't know.

~D

vulturesrow
09-03-2004, 09:25 AM
Cyrus,

Was there something you were trying to illustrate by posting this? I mean the guy went to trial and was found guilty of some charges but not the primary one. It happens. The article doesnt mention whether or not a pre-trial agreement (basically the military equivalent of a plea=bargain) was in effect. That is an important piece of information. I am willing to bet that the 2 officers that are coming up for GCM are probably going to get hit pretty hard as long as there is enough evidence present.

Chris

BeerMoney
09-03-2004, 09:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Cyrus,

Was there something you were trying to illustrate by posting this? I mean the guy went to trial and was found guilty of some charges but not the primary one. It happens. The article doesnt mention whether or not a pre-trial agreement (basically the military equivalent of a plea=bargain) was in effect. That is an important piece of information. I am willing to bet that the 2 officers that are coming up for GCM are probably going to get hit pretty hard as long as there is enough evidence present.

Chris

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, his point is that all Americans are lousy people. Don't waste your time on this guy.

Cyrus
09-03-2004, 04:14 PM
"[Cyrus'] point is that all Americans are lousy people."

Actually, the point is more prosaic than that: Americans can be as lousy as anyone. As, for example, that Iranian judge who executed personally the girl who had sex while unmarried. (Hence the similarity in the post's title with "Iranian judge executes with his own hands a 16-year old girl".) Only thing is, Americans don't want to know they are regular people: "Number One!", "Greatest in the world", and all that.

The American soldier-murderer (who was a prison guard in private life and got the call as a reservist to gop to Iraq) walked because he was tried at a military court. In any other court in America, the brutal sadistic murder of that poor Iraqi, who pleaded for his life to no avail, would get his murderer at least life.

But I would not waste too much time over the murderer's fate, BeerMoney. He will be welcomed as a hero, most likely, back home.

Rooster71
09-03-2004, 04:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Then he walks...

"CAMP PENDLETON, Calif. — A Marine reservist was found guilty Thursday of dereliction of duty and the abuse of prisoners last year at a makeshift detention camp in Iraq.

Pittman, 40, a federal prison guard in New York in his civilian life, was acquitted of the most serious charge, of karate-kicking 52-year-old Nagem Hatab in the chest shortly before the Iraqi was found dead in a dusty yard at the facility known as Camp Whitehorse.

An autopsy found Hatab had six broken ribs, as well as several deep bruises, and apparently died from suffocation caused by a broken bone in his throat.

Three witnesses testified they saw Pittman punch, knee and kick prisoners, including a local Muslim cleric, as well as Hatab and other unnamed prisoners.

"In the ... prison labeled 'terror dome', there are no angels as witnesses," prosecutor, Maj. Leon Francis said. "When it came to Mr. Hatab and the prisoners that were abused there, it was hell on Earth."

Pfc. William Roy, the prosecution's star witness and a direct subordinate of Pittman, accepted a demotion as part of a plea deal. He testified that he and Pittman were angry at Hatab because they believed "he sold a rifle" taken during the ambush of a U.S. Army convoy that killed 11 soldiers and led to the capture of Pfc. Jessica Lynch and others.

The prosecution said Roy's account of how the fierce beating that he said he and Pittman gave Hatab was full of detail that made it believable. According to Roy, Hatab said in English "Why? Why? Why? No. No. My children. My children."

A general court-martial is scheduled to begin later this month for Maj. Clarke Paulus, who allegedly ordered Hatab dragged. Whitehorse base commander Maj. Michael Froeder faces charges of negligence and abuse of prisoners".

FoxNews Report (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,131332,00.html)

[/ QUOTE ]
Pittman was simply trying to explain "compassionate conservatism" to the poor Iraqis. When they refused to listen, he had no other choice than to start whoopin' ass.

Cyrus
09-04-2004, 03:08 AM
"Pittman was simply trying to explain compassionate conservatism to the poor Iraqis."

I thought compassionate conservatism meant to judo the guy to death... But Pittman karate'd that Iraqi to the grave.

Probably a late convert like Zell Miller.

vulturesrow
09-04-2004, 10:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The American soldier-murderer (who was a prison guard in private life and got the call as a reservist to gop to Iraq) walked because he was tried at a military court. In any other court in America, the brutal sadistic murder of that poor Iraqi, who pleaded for his life to no avail, would get his murderer at least life.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are so full of yourself. The military court system is every bit as stringent as the civil system, if not more. Most likely, they decided that the prosecution wasnt able to prove the case beyond a reasonable doubt, which is the standard of proof, just like in civilian courts. People walk on stupid tehnicalities all the time in the civilian justice system. Plus as I said before, there may have been a pre trial agreement (i.e. a plea bargain) in effect.

I agree with your point that Americans can be as lousy as anyone. That being said, your claim that the only reason the guy got off is because it was a military court.

Chris

Cyrus
09-04-2004, 03:38 PM
"You are so full of yourself. The military court system is every bit as stringent as the civil system, if not more."

Yeah, right. (And I bet you think it's "more".)

"As I said before, there may have been a pre trial agreement (i.e. a plea bargain) in effect."

In case, you didn't get it the first time, the defendant was accused of murder. And he walked! He didn't get a reduced sentence -- he walked. Could you explain to us peons, please, real slowly like, what kind of plea bargaining is this, whereby the defense gets everything and the prosecution gets nothing?

..I may be full of myself as you claim, but you sure seem to be full of something else, on this matter.

vulturesrow
09-04-2004, 03:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, right. (And I bet you think it's "more".)

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow what an incredibly well thought out response. I can help you get a hold of the UCMJ, the Manaul for Court Martials and some other documents that will help you understand the scope of the military justice system.

[ QUOTE ]
In case, you didn't get it the first time, the defendant was accused of murder. And he walked! He didn't get a reduced sentence -- he walked. Could you explain to us peons, please, real slowly like, what kind of plea bargaining is this, whereby the defense gets everything and the prosecution gets nothing?

[/ QUOTE ]

First I never said anyone was a peon. The guy didnt walk, he was found guilty on two other charges and the sentencing hasnt occurred yet. Maybe you should reread the article.