PDA

View Full Version : Embarassingly LAME post - South Carolinian in need of help

hoterdoc
09-03-2004, 01:28 AM
I just downloaded poker tracker, and have imported a few days worth of hands successfully, but I am a bit overwhelmed by the amount of data and stats it churns out.

QUESTION :
Anyone in the Greenville/Spartanburg area of South Carolina intrested in free pizza/beer for a tutoring session? ( or other meal of one's preference)
Thanks,
doc /images/graemlins/crazy.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif

faith
09-03-2004, 11:11 AM
I use pokerstat so I'm not much use to you, but in a crazy thread astroglide posted stats from 100k hands that could be a good baseline to use as comparison (3-6 limit holdem at party and stars I think).

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=889197&page=3&view=co llapsed&sb=5&o=14&vc=1

From the differences in your stats (ie preflop raise percentage and what have you) you could read up and try to figure out what you're doing differently. I don't know pokertracker at all so I couldn't begin to comment on postflop stats, but the preflop stuff should be pretty easy to flushout. If your preflop play is statistaclly in line with his, the postflop stat comparison will have much more meaning. ---well due to different playing styles, I'd be very careful trying to use someone else's post flop stats to tweak my game... I'd use postflop differences as a potential guide to what chapters of your favorite pokerbooks you may want to take another look at. but the different winning preflop approaches are all pretty much the same with some differences on the borderline hands... Especially if your a new player (I don't know if you are of course) see if there are any major differences in preflop stats. (If so, first take a look at the hands and see if it is just due to your smaller samplesize... if not, figure out what you're doing differently and why... then preceed as necessary

This would help not only in figuring out how to use the program but may be a fairly quick way to identify and patch some leaks.

This entire process is ofcourse assuming that astroglide knows what he's doing, but anyone who 6-tables 3-6 with consistant profit has a solid "autopilot" and stats will reflect as such. I'd guess the stats shown are a close to ideal baseline.

Like I said, I use pokerstat... so if you're just wanting to know where to click... I may have wasted 10 minutes, lol
faith

MicroBob
09-03-2004, 05:02 PM
Buyer beware on Astro's stats.

FWIW - I can't see his stats anymore when I look at the link (get the little broken-link red-X in a box thingee).

But as I recall, Astro's stats were pretty aggressive (especially his WSD and W$SD stats which I think were around 38 and 45 or something like that).

I think Somebody posted that if they couldn't see Astro's win-rate in his p-tracker stats they would assume that he was WAY to LAG and HAD to be a losing player and I agree.

Astro knows what he's doing and is obviously a very good player. But I don't think his stats should be used as a foundation for someone still getting comfortable and learning the game.

I believe that for many players, trying to tailor their game to meet Astro's numbers would be disastrous.

Keep working with P-tracker and you will hopefully get the hang of it eventually.

FWIW - here is what I consider to be decent stats for party 3/6 and lower (full-table)....ranging too much more or less than these windows CAN work for some players who know what they are doing. These are EXTREMELY general guidelines.

VPIP - 15-20
PFR - 5-8
WSD - 30
W$SD - 55

Something like that anyway.
I think that if you are VPIP-14, PFR-5 you are doing okay but are probably erring too much on the side of weak-tight.

Also FWIW - I think the original poster isn't just asking what some decent numbers are....but how to use and read any of this stuff. All the filters and preferences and other stuff might be a bit overwhelming for some.

I also recommend you check out the poker-tracker forums. Pretty sure that a lot of beginners' questions are asked all the time over there.

Don't be bashful..A little embarassment is a small price to pay compared with the benefits of learning how to steer your way around p-tracker.

I'll get you started
Under Utilities there are a couple of really cool options that some newbies don't know about.
One is the auto-request feature.
You don't have to manually request the HH's yourself. You can have p-tracker get the e-mails for you.
(setting up a POP-3 e-mail account for easier importing is nice too).
The other is the notes-export feature.
It will take the stats of all of your previous opponents and export them into the little notes boxes on party.

The notes-export feature is probably over your head right now.....but it will be VERY worth your while to learn the in's and out's of it eventually.
I'm not exactly a computer genius (far from it) and I was able to figure it out so I have faith that you can too.

I have a good friend of in Columbia, SC who would be willing to talk to you....but since he doesn't know the first thing about poker I suspect he wouldn't be much help.

dfscott
09-07-2004, 11:18 AM
I was just in Greenville last weekend -- sorry I missed your post. Actually, I will probably be coming up there periodically (since my parents live there and I also have Clemson season tickets) so maybe we can hook up.

FWIW, I've been playing seriously for about 6 months, and I have around 27K hands during that period. My win rate is around 4.7BB/100, covering limits from .05/.10 to 2/4, and I have used PT since day 1.