PDA

View Full Version : Is the economy affecting poker games?

09-13-2001, 02:34 PM
Hey all. I have a couple of poker buddies who have mentioned that poker games have generally started to get tighter and tougher, especially at tournaments and higher limits. I play mostly lower limits, 3-6 to 9-18, and the players there seem to play like they always have. I'm curious as to whether the other players on this forum have noticed changes in the game, and whether the bad economy is affecting things. When people lose their jobs, it seems they have less money to lose at poker.

Oh, by the way, I play in the San Francisco bay area mostly. The location may make a difference.

09-13-2001, 03:26 PM
I have not noticed any changes at the 15-30 level.

09-14-2001, 06:20 AM
If the slowing economy has any kind of affect on poker it would most likely be positive. I know it seems like the opposite should be true but history dictates that forms of entertaintment like going to the movies, concerts, gambling etc. thrive during times of economic hardships. The logical reason for this to be the case is that people often look for "escapes" from everyday life and find some relief from industries geared towards entertainment. Thus lots of losers will continue to go and play poker. Regarding tournament time, these are usually the best times to play poker- tournament side action is almost always good or great.

09-19-2001, 12:14 PM
My grndfather ran a bowling and billiard business that sold stuff like bowling balls, ping pong tables, poker tables, and all that stuff.

He said business was always good, but when the economy was bad and unemployment rose, business was great. People needed something to fill their day.

Dan Z.