PDA

View Full Version : 99 early position - lots of action

Quercus
09-02-2004, 09:02 PM
Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (8 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

So, I'm looking through my 10,000 or so hands in PokerTracker trying to figure out why I'm beating my opponents, but not quite by enough to beat the rake. Very frustrating being almost good enough, but I suppose it means that with some fine tuning, I'll join the ranks of profitable poker players.

While looking for leaks, I noticed that I've lost more money on 99 than any other hands. Here's the first one that I'm not sure I played correctly.

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with 9/images/graemlins/club.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG calls, Hero calls, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, CO folds, Button calls, SB completes, <font color="CC3333">BB raises</font>, UTG calls, Hero calls, <font color="CC3333">MP1 3-bets</font>, Button calls, SB calls, <font color="CC3333">BB caps</font>, UTG calls, Hero calls, MP1 calls, Button calls, SB calls.

Should I have raised the initial bet? Should I have thrown it away with all the pre-flop action?

Flop: (24 SB) 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, T/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, MP1 calls, Button folds, SB calls, <font color="CC3333">BB caps</font>, UTG calls, Hero calls, MP1 calls, SB calls.

I made a set. I raise it up. Should I have done that with a bet and raise in front of me?

Turn: (22 BB) 4/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls, MP1 calls, SB calls, BB calls.

Junk card. BB slows down, but UTG is still firing away. At this point I'm nervous, but the point has grown large. Should I have folded or raised here?

River: (27 BB) 7/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls, <font color="CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, BB folds, UTG calls, Hero calls, MP1 calls.

I'm pretty sure I'm beaten here, but make the call because there's at least some chance I'm the winner here.

Final Pot: 39 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 39 BB, between UTG, Hero, MP1 and SB.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by UTG (39 BB).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
UTG shows Qs Jd (straight, king high).
Hero shows 9c 9h (three of a kind, nines).
MP1 shows 8s 6s (straight, ten high).
SB shows Jh 8d (straight, jack high).
Outcome: UTG wins 39 BB. </font>

Haha, sweet. I'm fourth best.

LokiV
09-02-2004, 09:28 PM
I'm somewhat new to analyzing these.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm pretty sure I'm beaten here, but make the call because there's at least some chance I'm the winner here.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's no chance unless you're against 3 people who have never played the game or are pretty maniacal. When engaged in all out raising wars with one opponent, you can be fairly ok without the ABSOLUTE best hand (though I know what TPTK gets you when you're 3-4 betting 1v1... pure pain), with 2+ you need the nuts or you lose.

Again, assuming they aren't just handing out free money at the table.

I would go with it down to the river, a board pair would give you the definite advantage ... but I'd have dropped the set on the river. If not before that 1 bet then after the two raises.

dfscott
09-02-2004, 09:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
When engaged in all out raising wars with one opponent, you can be fairly ok without the ABSOLUTE best hand (though I know what TPTK gets you when you're 3-4 betting 1v1... pure pain), with 2+ you need the nuts or you lose.

[/ QUOTE ]

Surely you're joking here. I've won many capped rivers without the nuts.

[ QUOTE ]
Again, assuming they aren't just handing out free money at the table.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's why people play PP .5/1