PDA

View Full Version : Backing deals

Matt24
09-02-2004, 07:38 PM
Do most players get backed get 50% of what they earn while they are risking none? I'm sure there are a lot of different deals, but what is common, I just remember hearing that on Rounders. I'm going to vegas next week and was going to play in a $300 tourney at the 4 queens classic and was hoping my dad would back me as I am not a profitable No Limit tourney player(but want to play in one big live one, I'm a limit player), but wondered what our deal should be to be fair.

Matt24
09-02-2004, 11:22 PM
anybody?

NLfool
09-02-2004, 11:31 PM
it's your dad man you guys shouldn't need anything where you're figuring out to the dollar what one should get. If he foots the whole bill and you're not a +EV deal he should get way more than 50% as you are getting a free chance at experience and his $300 is not a +EV investment. He is simply doing you a favor. If you guys both go half then obviously 1/2 is the split don't be charging your old man a percentage because you're putting in the hours.

Matt24
09-02-2004, 11:47 PM
I was just trying to figure out something fair, don't know about all the harshness. We have split a tourney before, the Full Tilt overlay. I just recently started a new biz, so I dont have money to play in the tourney, I'm just taking 500 to play low limit. (first time for me and my friends out there)

I was thinking of him taking 100% of profits unless I cash over 500% return.

NLfool
09-03-2004, 12:24 AM
sounds like a cool deal didn't mean it to come out so harsh

Blarg
09-03-2004, 12:36 AM
The "he's your dad, man" still seems to apply. If you're not a profitable NL tourney player, I can't see why you would want to risk $300 of your dad's money.

If you have that much goodwill from him that he's willing to just take a chance on an admittedly not profitable player to the tune of $300, I would wait for a much better opportunity to spend that goodwill, if spend it you must.

I dunno, sounds kind of sad to me.

submariner
09-03-2004, 01:19 AM
I agree with Blarq. Especially if your taking $500 of your own to play with. If you want to play in the tournament, use the 500.

TwoNiner
09-03-2004, 05:28 AM
Split the buy in with him 150 each. Then you can take more of the profits and not feel bad about it.

TheBong
09-03-2004, 12:14 PM
Or just don't play a game that you are admittedly not profitable at?

Live tourneys are fun, but you can get experience online and its not like you aren't going to still play B&M Poker. It'd be a lot different if you were a top NL tourney player to where cashing and making back the buyin is almost a certainty.

There isn't anything smaller? I'm sure I agree with the others that getting cash off your pops for something you are probably going to lose the whole investment in seems kind of (don't want to sound too harsh but...) dumb.

If nothing else, if he's going to stake you the $300 for the tournament, why not have him stake you the $300, go play the limit games that you claim to excel in, and then if you make the money to cover the tournament, play it.

That's just my opinion though.

Matt24
09-03-2004, 12:30 PM
Well its not like I've played in a ton of live tourneys, I've done well in the 30-70 person ones around here (profitable), but not profitable on $30 +3s on Party(I've played around 25). My dad isn't hurting for money, it's no problem for him to back me, he has a large business which s has plants in 3 states, he has money, me not so much. I just looked at the schedule there is a $100 tourney with a $20 fee(which blows) on the night we get out there, I may be able to make it for that one, it doesnt matter to me the buy in, I just wanted to play in a live tourney with at least 150 people.

Jdanz
09-03-2004, 01:04 PM
seems to me that the deal isn't important. If the money isn't important to your dad, and it's just for fun for you. I say take the money as a gift, be thankful, and if you win big give him whatever you feel is fair back. And take him out for a nice dinner.

-JDanz