PDA

View Full Version : Best Bourbon Whiskey

daveymck
09-02-2004, 07:07 PM
Being in the UK the best US bourbon tends to be Jack or Jim Beam.

But noticed my local supermarket has ten different selections across a range of prices.

Picke dup a bottle of Forester whch is ok but a bit bitter compared to Jim and Jack in fact more comparable to a scotch whiskey.

So what are the names I should be looking out for in bourbon.

whiskeytown
09-02-2004, 07:28 PM
back when I had a heart for it....JD was my choice - something about the charcoal barrels just give it something..

however, there are some very good whiskeys that aren't bourbon - I'm thinking of Jameson Irish Whiskey...I liked that a lot - didn't get into Bushmills tho...something about it tasted bad....

now, if you're looking for some firewater "puts hair on your chest " Bourboun Whiskey - ...Wild Turkey - that was some wild stuff...had to quit drinking that - and even when I did, I drank it chilled from freezer -

but 4 shots could give me a incredible buzz. That felt more like slam the shot whiskey then sipping whiskey.

RB

ChipWrecked
09-02-2004, 07:29 PM
As with Scotch, avoid anything blended.

As for Jack, technically it is not 'Bourbon' but 'Tennesse Whiskey' due to the charcoal filtering. George Dickel is the only other Tennessee whiskey I know of. Either is superior to bourbon IMHO.

Maker's Mark and Wild Turkey are both excellent bourbons.

Enjoy, whichever you choose!

MaxPower
09-02-2004, 07:51 PM
Knob Creek, Maker's Mark, Woodford Reserve

bdk3clash
09-02-2004, 07:58 PM
George Dickel. Mmm.

mmcd
09-02-2004, 08:03 PM
Bookers.

Jack Daniels Single Barrel is a tasty TN whiskey.

HDPM
09-02-2004, 08:03 PM
Jim Beam is undrinkable. I am sorry this is what you are exposed to in the UK as far as bourbon goes. Jack is a lot better, but as others said it isn't technically bourbon. Three excellent ones were mentioned in the post above. I like makers, knob creek and woodford. All are good. Makers Mark is my default choice.

Another to look for is Bookers, made by jim beam but so far better than regular beam it isn't funny. It is at the top of the price spectrum but is very good.

RiverTheNuts
09-02-2004, 08:04 PM
Bourbon is my drink... Im not that rich, so the cost/taste ratio plateaus at Maker's Mark

cjromero
09-02-2004, 08:22 PM
Bookers. And it's not close.

slamdunkpro
09-02-2004, 08:27 PM
Try Maker's Mark.

P.S. Jack Daniels is NOT a bourbon. It's a Tennessee Sour Mash Whiskey Bourbons are made in Bourbon County Kentucky.

Zeno
09-03-2004, 12:51 AM
Since most raved about Booker's here is a link to the website Booker's Bourbon (http://www.internetwines.com/mb311504.html)

At the bottom are prices - looks like about $60 a bottle if you include shipping etc. Cheaper the more you buy of course.

Is it that much better than Maker's Mark which is about $25 or less at the Supermarket?

-Zeno

MMMMMM
09-03-2004, 02:29 AM
I really hate whiskey, but am considering acquiring a taste for it.

A) What is the 'Simply The Best' recommendation for any type of whiskey?

B) What is the best whiskey for the process of acquiring a taste for whiskey in the first place?

At this stage, 'B' is clearly more important than 'A', yet the whole point of 'B' is to develop the capacity to enjoy 'A' at some later date.

I doubt I'll ever completely overcome my revulsion for the stuff, but it would be nice to enjoy it at least a little as I supress the gag reflex. Therefore, price is no object, since quality is everything and one bottle will be sure last a good long time. A long-term investment, if you will.

This is a serious post. It is quite possible that my very limited exposure to whiskies means that I have simply never tasted a really good whiskey--and it's been so long I can't remember the brand, anyway. The idea is to buy an old Irish or English silver goblet with some character, off eBay, with which to 'enjoy' the fine spirit, and to partake on occasion while either listening to Gilgarra Mountain by Peter, Paul and Mary, or while wandering through the local hills in autumn wearing a small hip flask.

daveymck
09-03-2004, 04:05 AM
A good scotch would be the way to go.

Something like Glenmorangie or Isle of Jura are not as harsh as some of the more standard stuff by Jamesons etc, costs a bit more but worth it.

Apologies for the misclassification of Jack as Bourbon seems everyone is very touchy on the subject. However I will bear this in mind next time you try and convince that stuff you drink over there is beer. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Ulysses
09-03-2004, 05:53 AM
OK, I think you want four things.

1) Good quality - for obvious reasons

2) Aged on the longer side to make it smoother than avg

3) Port/Sherry/etc. finish to cut the taste a little

4) Something not very peaty

Balvenie 21yo Portwood (http://www.balvenie.com/range/portwood_21yo.html)

This one is great, one of my all-time faves. In general, I think Balvenie across their whole line is excellent (one of my favorites) and they are especially well-suited for people who do not already have a taste for whisky.

There are a ton of different styles of great whisky. We've had threads w/ tons of great ones listed. But for your purposes, I think it will be hard to beat this one.

Other options (http://archiveserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=392943&page=&view=&sb=5&o =&fpart=all&vc=1)

Ulysses
09-03-2004, 05:57 AM
More bourbon discussion (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=837343&page=&view=&sb=5&o =&vc=1)

Ulysses
09-03-2004, 06:09 AM
Maker's is great. I always have some at home. I think Woodford Reserve is just a couple bucks more and I prefer it a little over Maker's. Others like Blanton's and Basil Hayden are great and maybe in the middle, like $40, between Maker's and Bookers. I think Bookers is over $50 in the store if I remember, and while it is definitely great, I'm not sure that it deserves that much of a premium. I think your only option is to buy all of the bourbons and scotches listed in this thread and the other one that I linked to and try them yourself.

Really, all of the bourbons talked about in this thread are great. When it comes to these, it's largely a matter of taste. Some people prefer a stronger flavor. Others prefer a sharper kick. And so forth. Whichever suits your taste best is what's best.

Ulysses
09-03-2004, 06:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
now, if you're looking for some firewater "puts hair on your chest " Bourboun Whiskey - ...Wild Turkey

[/ QUOTE ]

You want firewater? Try some 125 Proof Old Potrero Rye Whiskey.

MMMMMM
09-03-2004, 10:38 AM
"However I will bear this in mind next time you try and convince that stuff you drink over there is beer."

My idea of a real beer (or ale, actually) is MacEwan's.

MMMMMM
09-03-2004, 10:48 AM
That is a neat website.

Regarding the Port/Sherry bit: I know I don't like Sherry in a glass, and have never tried Port. Would this matter much?

scotnt73
09-03-2004, 10:58 AM
i used to drink crown and coke. after the last discussion that you linked to on the same topic i tried makers as well. ill only drink crown now if they dont have makers. thanks to everyone who reccomended it. some of the best advise ive ever gotten on this board /images/graemlins/grin.gif

The once and future king
09-03-2004, 10:59 AM
Why not peaty?

My favourite whiskey at present is 16yr old Lagavulin. Whilst peaty it is still very accesible. Any whiskey over a given age (12) is going to be very smooth so the peatyness might not be an option.

A very accesible single Malt that is easy to find (on this side of the pond) is (10yrs) Arbelour. Very caramel nutty almost toffee like flavour. A good simple non expensive place to start ones whiskey career imho. This is a career that one wants to start as soon as one possibly can as whiskey is truely one of lifes greatest pleasures.

My question is: Is there a bourbon that one would choose above a good Malt?

ChipWrecked
09-03-2004, 11:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
My idea of a real beer (or ale, actually) is MacEwan's.

[/ QUOTE ]

Aye. Since I moved West, I've developed a taste for Sierra Nevada Pale Ale.

All due respect to the question above, and El D pretty much answered it, asking 'which is the best whiskey' is akin to 'what is the best play'.

The answer is, it depends.

M2d
09-03-2004, 11:29 AM
That is some gooooooooood chit

M2d
09-03-2004, 11:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
My question is: Is there a bourbon that one would choose above a good Malt?

[/ QUOTE ]

For me, there are many. For my dad, none. different strokes, I guess. I think bourbons and ryes are more layered and interesting. my dad thinks scotchs are interesting enough, thank you. while we'll drink from each others' stash, he'll grab his Macallen and I'll go for my Bookers if given the choice.

since he's not posting and I am, try a small batch bourbon.

Knockwurst
09-03-2004, 12:28 PM
Puts Maker's Mark and all other pretenders to shame. Made in small batches (i think 300 cases a year) and tough to find -- Mr. Van Winkle's grandson, who's now running the business which Grandpa Rip started in the 1890's, came to a local liquor store offering up samples of the 10, 12, 15, and 20 year-old. I'm glad I can't afford the 20 year-old because I'd be dead or in line for a liver transplant. Now that is good sheet.

Their website has a lot of info (warning: once you're on their website it's hard to get out).

http://www.oldripvanwinkle.com/newbs/vw/website3.nsf/pagesbyname/home?opendocument

Ulysses
09-03-2004, 12:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Why not peaty?

[/ QUOTE ]

Simply that my experience w/ introducing people to single malts has been that most find it tougher to deal w/ the peatier ones. It's like there's two things to get your palette used to then - the whisky flavor itself and the peatiness. As for the two you mentioned, I'm not a huge fan of peaty scotch in general, but I like both the Lagavulin and Arbelour you mentioned and agree w/ your characterizations of them.

I think our best shot at helping MMMMMMMM see the light is to get him started w/ something like I mentioned and then introduce him to the world of complex flavors available. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ulysses
09-03-2004, 01:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Regarding the Port/Sherry bit: I know I don't like Sherry in a glass, and have never tried Port. Would this matter much?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really. A strong flavor is not added by the double barrel aging. It just rounds out the flavor somewhat IMO and adds a nice finish to what some at first consider to be a kind of harsh drink. I haven't had the Portwood 1989 but both the 12yo Doublewood (sherry cask) and the 21yo Portwood are great. I believe the 12yo is about half the price of the 21yo. Either one would be a great one for you to try, but you did ask for the best. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

wayabvpar
09-03-2004, 01:45 PM
http://www.whiskydepot.com/pics/ASB-051.jpg

In a pinch-

http://www.kinet.or.jp/kenbo/STOCK/STOCK/BOURBON/I.W.HARPER-02.jpg

Jack Daniel's isn't even bourbon- it is Tennessee Whiskey (http://www.miss-charming.com/bartender/bourbon.htm).

Mano
09-03-2004, 01:50 PM
I would reccommend starting with a decent highland single malt scotch. As El Diablo has said, the peatier scotches (i.e. the Islay's) are probably not the best for someone who is just being introduced to scotches. I might suggest something like McCallan (the 12 yr. is good, the 16 yr. sublime), Oban or Cardhu.