PDA

View Full Version : Poker school

sfbruin
09-02-2004, 07:05 PM
I was just wondering if anyone had heard of a place where they teach classes on how to play poker. Something like a poker "academy" where there would actually be homework, midterms, etc. Do you think there would be an interest in this sort of thing? I just feel that the only way to learn how to play poker is through your friends or through teaching yourself. Thoughts?

Bez
09-02-2004, 07:10 PM
I think this would be a great way to learn if only you could get someone good enough at poker to teach. Alas, this would seem almost impossible - why would a great player spend many hours a week teaching when they could be earning far more playing poker themselves? In theory, this kind of training + relevant experience would be brilliant.

Greg J
09-02-2004, 07:18 PM
Poker is pretty much something you have to teach yrself. I personally kind of like it that way, since most people are not motivated to really take the time to learn the nuances of the game, and watch WPT and WSOP and think they can get "lessons" that way. This means winning play (and money!) for those of us that bust our ass to learn the game.

You don't really get good at poker without experience anyway. No "school" can teach you what playing tens of thousands of hands will.

Patriarch
09-02-2004, 07:39 PM
Have a look at PokerSchool Online (http://www.pokerschoolonline.com).

Luv2DriveTT
09-03-2004, 05:34 PM
Dont bother with PokerSchool, for the most part the players were not good enough to learn from.

dogmeat
09-03-2004, 05:54 PM
I paid for a month of pokerschool online. It's not a school, just lots of articles to read and some free tournaments. I wound up joining Bugsy's because they share the same software - and that was a waste of time also. Not enough games. MHO

Dogmeat /images/graemlins/spade.gif

roundhouse
09-03-2004, 05:59 PM
This is the best poker school. You just need to set you're own homework.

RH

Cardzy
09-05-2004, 08:55 PM
I'm an annual member at Pokerschool Online and enjoy it. I don't play there much as I am too busy playing real money sites, but I do enjoy kicking back and playing there. Not only do they have the articles but they also have the forums with replies from instructors and such. They have weekly sessions when an instructor sits at a training table and teaches/answers all questions which is a great help. And you can get tons of tournament practice in without risking your bankroll. You can also win sponsorship points to enter live tourneys and such. It is worth the $15 a month to me and is a great help for beginners to poker.

Anyway, figured I would put a flipside opinion of Pokerschool Online for ya. It has it's good points, but it is not the all complete solution of course as you always need to be reading, learning, practicing, etc. to continuously improve your game from all available sources.

Luv2DriveTT
09-06-2004, 10:28 AM
you'll be better off with buying a few good books, and spending time here on this forum. The articles are often lisenced from cardplayer.com or Mike Carro, I have found better advice here.