PDA

View Full Version : Beginner Q about a constant raiser

belboz
09-02-2004, 06:36 PM
I'm relatively new, about 1 month or so, to HE. I've begun reading books (WLLH, and ITH, and have a couple more), and playing on a couple different Poker sites (Pacific, Paradise, UB). I have been mildly successful (I am +$ but I haven't really gone above .10/.20 limit).

Anyway, I played a SNG last weekend for the first time (2.50), and came in 2nd. Then played another (5.00) and came in 3rd. Aside from them taking longer than I expected (about an hour each), they were fun to play.

So I enter a third one (5.00), and there is one guy at the table who bets/raises/caps every single hand, every single round (ok, maybe it was 90% of the time), regardless of his cards.

I tried to stick to my game (tight and a little too weak right now), and made it to the final 4. But the blinds caught up to me and I was forced to play some hands, and with this guy raising everything it wasn't too long before I was all-in and eliminated.

What is the best way to deal with this?

Thanks,
Tom

jedi
09-02-2004, 06:55 PM
If I had a good hand, I would tend to re-raise to try to isolate the hand between you and him. Even with a mediocre hand, I would try to do this, believeing that you have the best hand. Players like this tend to increase your swings, and in a SnG, that's not necessarily a good thing, but if you can pick your spots and clear out the field, then it's good for you.

Lori
09-02-2004, 06:59 PM
Drop to a really really low limit (There are $1 games out there) and raise/cap etc every hand yourself.

Find out what you don't like and then, when you've seen it from the perspective of that kind of player, you'll know what kind of things they don't like.

In fact, there are play money games out there where you could try it, it's worth the time invested.

Lori